• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

clawhammer vs newcastle

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've heard the 3200 Clawhammer CG revision has been having some poor results at even 1.8v....I found one for sale at a reliable site online...but I'm a bit worried...

I won't shell out 330+ for the 3700+, so which processor is really the OC dream for the socket 754 setup?

3200 Clawhammer C0
3200 Clawhammer CG
3200 Newcastle CG
3200 Newcastle C0

Which one?

I have a 3200+ Newcastle CG. I got it to 2.4ghz no problem on stock voltages. I am not running it that way though because full load I got to 62C... I didn't like that one bit. I may reseat the heatsink (Thermaltake Venus 7+) to see if it helps. Stock, it is running about 55C full load.

Before that, I had a 2800+ CO. I think it was a Clawhammer, but CPU-Z said Newcastle. That topped out at around 2.2ghz with 1.7V, and ran about 55C. I won't go past that voltage.

read sig:), if you can find a 3200+ clawhammer CG revison you should get good results....

AFAIK, Newcastle CO's don't exist
ClawHammer CO's don't overclock real well & have a picky memory controller. :)

My choice? ClawHammer CG's seem to overclock pretty good on high-end air and offer better performance that their Newcastle CG counterparts at the same clock speed. :)

A NewCastle is a completely different core than clawhammer, there is no C0 newcastles. There are, on the other hand, C0 clawhammers with half the cache disabled. Which results in a CPU with the same cache amount as the NewCastles.

the clawhammer C0 has an OPN code that ends with "AP", a CG CH has "AR" at the end, a newcastle has "AX" at the end. You should stay away from the "AP"s

The desktop CG ClawHammer is hard to find these days, unless you want to go with a mobile DTR or 1.4 V ClawHammer 3000+ or 3200+.

Mobile A64 ClawHammer may not be supported by some motherboards and bios.

Further there is a premium these days to pay for a mobile A64 for the same PR rating.

So the "only" choice these days is a NewCastle, IMO, a 3000+ NC is good for price performance and overclocking.

This post may help to explain the difference in case you haven't come across it

Difference between a ClawHammer and a NewCastle

Last edited:
Back