• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Let's talk about BigPackets and -advmethods

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I just changed all my home rigs (23 GHZ) over to the -adv flag to see if my production takes a jump or a dive.I have a gig of ram in all of them and they are all over 2GHZ procs.All are XP's except one A64 3400.I will post with any changes I see during the week.Its easy to change so I thought to myself why not give it a trial run.

nikhsub1 said:
Big packets blow chunks on machines with only 256MB of ram. That is all. Carry on.

So no -big packets on those machines with little RAM, but is the -advmethods still a viable flag, or drop that as well? I'm so confused with all these options :eh?:

This is the general idea so far:

Thumbs up to -advmethods for 256 ram and xp2000+ or higher.

Thumbs up to BigPackets on 512 ram and xp2000+ or higher.

Thumbs up to BigPackets on two clients on a dually with 1GB ram and xp2000+ or higher.

I'm running two instances of BP and -adv on my dually (1.5GB ram) and I can tell it's lagging here and there. The two clients are taking up a total of 300+MB of RAM!

haven't gamed recently (and i usually turn of folding then anyway), but with the BP taking up 300mb of ram, im actually not really feeling it.

Well I reconfiged the FAH500 client to accept bigpackets and added the -advmethods in the registry. The rig is a BartonXP3200 @2.2GHz/200fsb on an Abit NF7-S rev2 mobo and 512Mb of RAM. I set this up a week after the big units started up.

To date I've not recieved one large WU and all the settings are as they should be for. So what's the problem? Do I need to delete/reinstall and hope I get connected to the right servers this time? :mad: :bang head:

Edit: Nevermind. I figured it out. My son is too lazy to properly maintain his computer and the processor is running too hot to maintain total system stability. Until he (or I) blow out the dust bunny warren in his box, I'll be getting no BigPackets until several completed WU's are added to the machine's ID account. His work ethic is stating to P me off.

Edit2: I just updated all clients to FAH502-Console.exe and updated the registry FAH keys to the new client name so the service will auto-run on XP startup. Blew out the dust from the Barton system and temps dropped several degrees. Also updated the Abit BIOS to the latest v26. So now maybe I can get some of that BigPacket w000tage.

Last edited:
Thanks wedo for the info. So it seems using advanced methods on my amd xp actually hurts production, so I'll leave it off.

I'm getting them in Linux no problem. And I've even completed a few of them....

If I boot my minimal layers in text mode, they can do big WU's with only 256MB ram.

ok I must have missed something..there is another version after 5.0 and there is a flag to turn on big packets...somebody enlightem me to the post that explains both of these?

ok did more reading and more weaking downloaded some files and have it all sorted...BUT (of course) I seemed to have had a stability problem with the BP units...so I took it down from 227 FSb to 225 FSB seems to be churning along now.

It doesn't have much to do with stability. For me, most of them die, even on non-overclocked boxes.

skitlets said:
Thanks wedo for the info. So it seems using advanced methods on my amd xp actually hurts production, so I'll leave it off.

wedo said:
I changed both clients to "yes" for BP, added -adv to one client while switching to FAH5.02 assuming that the new client would benefit BP even more so than the 5.00. My results show that the client with -adv is out performing the non -adv by another 20-30% (700 PPW versus 850-900 PPW).

Therefore, my results indicate that a Barton 2500+ should go with both BP and -adv enabled.

I was told by OC-AMD that the -advmethod flag was necessary to get BigPackets. BigPackets seen to be unstable beta WUs that are being tested out on systems strong enough to handle the resource drain. When they die, stanford can analyze what when wrong and correct the algorythms so the next batch will do better.

Those WUs that kept dying on my son's Barton/NF7-S box might have been BigPackets after all. Because they all died the same way and the CPU wasn't hot enough to be unstable running normal FAH WUs.

I think maybe thats the issue here on my end..I removed the advanced methods flag and while I no longer seem to get the BP I don't have issues anymore

ShadowCat66 said:
I just changed all my home rigs (23 GHZ) over to the -adv flag to see if my production takes a jump or a dive.I have a gig of ram in all of them and they are all over 2GHZ procs.All are XP's except one A64 3400.I will post with any changes I see during the week.Its easy to change so I thought to myself why not give it a trial run.

Well for the first 5 days it seems to have improved my scores enough to make my curve head in an upwards direction.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=4479

Wedo's One Click I think really helped me out alot. I don't know if it was the few extra machines I borged, or the Dual/HT One Click that helped me out, but my points went from 200-300 to over 1,000 in one day!!

right after they start?

Yes... I do on average around 200 of these WU's a day... out of these at least 10 die before reaching frame 0. You get partial credit but it's not much if anything if the WU didn't go very far... but now that they are on a 100% bonus you should see more PPD doing large WU's then any other WU type out there. (If you have the hardware to support it that is) Even if you have one fail at zero and the next one go 50%, your getting 50% partial credit.

ShadowCat66 said:
Well for the first 5 days it seems to have improved my scores enough to make my curve head in an upwards direction.

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=4479

Its been a big plus for me and for all you gamers out there I dont see a glitch at all playing my fav games like Doom 3,UT2004 and some others.My rig I game on is a Dually MP2800 Barton system with a gig of ram running 2 clients.It looks to be a 200 plus daily boost for me. Woot!

BTW: I lost a 1600+ and still see this increase.Went to a Lady that just wouldnt have her computer on long enough to finish in time.

Well my son is complaining that his gaming sucks until he turns off FAH. So I'm taking the BigPackets config/-advmethods off his box. I have noticed a boost too. So I'll just put one BigPacket on my Xeon duallie rig, maybe two. Once I get another 512Mb of RAM I'll run 4xBP clients if they still exist next month.

Back