• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom 3 on ti4200 to softquadro 780xgl

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingaaar

Hi,

Has anyone played Doom 3 on a softquadro modded card?

With it being open GL (one of the few games that are nowadays) should I see any performance increase?

Anyhow, while im here can ask :-

On 3dmark2003 is it realy my ti4200 thats causing me to see less than 10 frames per second on most demos?

My processor is a 1ghz p3 overclocked from 866.

Thanks in advance.

Ging

I would guess it's more your processor not being able to feed your video card. The ti4200's are pretty good bang for the buck cards, and it's probably not limiting you THAT much.

You can give the softquadro a try - I'd be interested to see the results.

A bit more help with my video card please?

:cry:
CamH said:
Such a system won't run Doom III anyways. The processor is too slow.

I dunno about that guys! Ive worked on most computers and I recently modded a 1.8ghz P4 with 256mb ddr ram and its slow, slow, slow compared to my p3.

Why?

Dunno.... Not a quality Motherboard maybe?

Anyhow, modded my case today and knocked my system temp to 21 degrees C and processor to 27 so im hoping to overclock furthur in anticiption of doom 3.

My Video card is a Gainward 8x AGP 128 MB version (non golden sample) and i have been unable to clock it past 265/555 from 250/515.

I cant enable fast writes on my motherboard or it crashes and it seems to be running at 2x agp rather than 4x

My motherboard is a Shuttle AV18 version 4.

Any ideas chaps?

Well...give it a shot. I would bet that Doom III would run, but your settings would probably have to be pretty low.

P3's do more work per clock than P4's, especially the older ones. That might be why your P3 performs better, or seems to, than the P4 system.

johan851 said:
Well...give it a shot. I would bet that Doom III would run, but your settings would probably have to be pretty low.

P3's do more work per clock than P4's, especially the older ones. That might be why your P3 performs better, or seems to, than the P4 system.

Yes this is true for a fact, in case point for the Williamette P4 systems.

When you are talking extra cache with the Intel Pentium 4 Northwood, then it would not be much of an issue, as more cache can easily beat out the P3.

I have ran a Pentium 933mhz with 512mb SDR ram and a Geforce 3. I cannot run Doom3 in the lowest details with frame rates averaging around 4 to 25FPS. The only time I would have the highest frame rates is when I am facing a wall completely or in a very dark area.

Firefights, forget it, slow to a hault, even with Doom3 tweaks.

Having both a fast CPU and video card helps, sadly to say.

Back