• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changed mem settings and now no image

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNewGuy143

Hi, I recently received my dfi infinity and xp-m. So after installing everything, I decided i was gonna overlock it. I test it with tight mem timings 2-2-2-11 and i got up to 227fsb, so i decided i would loosen them a bit to see how much fsb I could get. I reboot put them in 2.5-3-3-11 everything boots up fine. I start cpu-z and it says my mem timings are 3-4-4-7 so i go back to the bios and see they really are at those speeds, i was like ummm. So down under the mem timings i see an option I can not remember exactly what it was called but it was something that would automatically change the memory timings so i disable it. The computer restarts and it goes bip bip bip. I stop it immediattely, clear the cmos start everything looks like its booting up but no image, ive tried the cpu, mem and video card in another computer so it obviously is a problem with the mobo. Is it dead? Please help me guys.
TheNewGuy

Sounds like the bios got corrupted.. Does it make the fans spin but you get no boot and no video ?

edit..

A few things you could try..

Take the 100fsb jumper off and see if it boots..

Tap the Insert key when powering it on so it hopefully loads defaults..

Try only one stick of ram..

If you have some older pc2100 ram throw it in to see if it boots then..

You might need to get another preprogramed bios chip or hotflash the one you have in another mobo..

GL

Thunda

Last edited:
One other...

...thing you might try is to remove the battery entirely and place CMOS jumper to the 'clear' position and remove all a/c power to the computer and leave in that condition for 10 hours or so in an effort to totally clear the CMOS and it might then come back up when you re-install the battery and place 'clear CMOS' jumper back to the run position.

If not all that "THunDA" has said applies.

I also note that you have already flashed to the 1/31 bios and those older ones do not like to be adjusted without some real knowledge of the chances of the overclock/adjustment being "ok". The later 6/19 factory authorized bios is a 'little' more forgiving when putting "iffy" settings into the bios. Just a thought.

Sincerely, RGone... ;)

Did what???

Yeah, "newguy" that is strange and if you had not said that about rank; I would have missed it altogether. Must be someone in the background that knows me because I surely cannot change it over here. Hehehehehe. Of course over there mR. AhhGee keeps changing my avatar about every 10 days or so and I never know what I am going to come into the forum and see. But with the one he has up now he thinks he has the old man pegged. Hehehehehe.

Yes, maybe the clear CMOS thing will fix you up as it helps many. If you really want to do much adjusting and tuning> I really think a bios savior or a spare bios chip that is flashed with a bios and the knowledge of how to hot flash so you can reflash the corrupted chip each time and get going> is almost a necessity. I bought the bios savior way back in my NF7 days and it saved me two times but the bios saviour with me flashing all the weird trial bioses I have has saved me a good 100 times.

I notice some of the already released NF3 mobo's are pulling batteries and pulling power cords and such just like the Sisters> so that really points me to the dang Nvidial chipset as the real culprit in the whole bloody corrupted bios affair. And NF3 is part of the reason I am checking over here is to get used to the forum and be ready for NF3.

Sincerely, RGone...

Yeah theres a guyin the classifieds who sells preprogrammed bios chips ill have to ask him to reprogram mine and send me one more. Or ill get the bios savior thing, you know a good place who sells them?
TheNewGuy

Got both of my bios saviors from HighspeedPc.com but they come un-programmed and they have to be flashed on the 'safe' side first before they work as a bios savior setup. You can hotflash your chip on just about any motherboard with that 'square' style bios chip and using the correct bios flashing command syntax. The problem with a spare bios chip "only" is that you have to take the bios chip in and out. The bios savior is an add in arrangement that fits in the bios socket and has the second chip layered in and you do not have to remove the chip each time but swap by virtue of switch instead of physically "switching" the bios chip.

If you are in UsA you can email me at my address from over there as I don't have sig set for it here and can make arrangements to send to CA and they will reflash it there and return to you. Or you can get one from the person you spoke of or badflash.com sells them preprogrammed but once you corrupt the one you buy and have not 'fixed' the one you pull out> you will then have two dead ones. So you need to think ahead that way with bios savior or learn to make few adjustment errors or how to hotflash off your own board using the ''spare" chip only to get the board up so you can hotflash the dorked one.

Edit: placed address 'link' here in sig. Don't like to post email out in thread as the spam bots have a field day. Hehehehehe.

Sincerely, RGone...

Last edited:
Back