• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

4xSata Raid 0 Only 115mb/s??? Something wrong :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GESR

I've got today a lanpaty nforce2 rev b. It uses a 3114 sata controler. Tried the raid sistem with a fresh windows install and with hdtach can only get around 115mb/s of read speed. the write speed is around 80mb/s

Sandra result:
raid.JPG

HDTach result:
hdtach.JPG

The results are very similar with 2xraid 0 with the same drives...
I'm using the latest dfi lanparty official bios and the latest sata silicon image drivers.

I can notice also something strange, the hdtach result isn't a curve... this was not expected... something is limiting the transfers

Does any one have any idea how i improve the results? Is any problem with the sata raid onboard controler?

Shouldn't i have better results? i was expecting around 150...?

Thanks

PS: i think here is the right place to ask this questions.

Hi,

Note that if your on-board RAID chip is linked to the PCI bus (and not directly to the southbridge) as I think most chips do (instead the Intel ones), then you are limited to max. PCI bandwith, which is normally of 133MB/sec... minus the interface overhead, 116 sounds about right...

Regards
FTC

Yup, its a silicon image 3114 sata onboard controler using the pci bus.

Is there any other controler that as 4 sata ports inside the chipset?

I've founded ich5r from intel and nforce3 from nvidia to amd 64 system but could only find motherboards with 2 ports, none with 4. Any one know a board that uses a chipset-integraded sata controler with 4 ports?

Can i do something to improve my results?

Thanks

even with the PCI bus limitation, your nearing the physical limit of the drives. What HDD's are you using? Even 4 raptors RAID 0 have trouble pushing beyond what you scored. RAID 0 with two drives is practicaly just as fast as a setup with even more drives. If you want faster performance you have to lay down the dough for SCSI 15k U320's...and then you need a 64bit PCI slot, or onboard SCSI controllers.

So for the lowdown....I think your setup has nothing wrong with it and is performing perfectly normal.

ajrettke, you are wrong. The fisical limit of this drives is way up, this is not the limit.
Im sure of this because the hdtach benchmark, you can see that is a staight line, not a curve as usual, this means that something is blocking the harddrives performance. The harddrives used are hitachi 80gb 7200Rpm sata drives.

I belive that this system can get about 160mb/s, i dont belive, i'm sure... i'm just mad with this pci controler...

GESR said:
I belive that this system can get about 160mb/s, i dont belive, i'm sure... i'm just mad with this pci controler...

You hit the nail on the head there. PCI controller. Unless you get a workstation board with PCI-X 66/133 you aren't going to get more than ~120MB/s (or ICH5R)

But ICH5R or nforce3 Raid system (also integrated inside the chipset) have 4 ports? in witch motherboard? i didnt founded any :(

GESR said:
But ICH5R or nforce3 Raid system (also integrated inside the chipset) have 4 ports? in witch motherboard? i didnt founded any :(

nForce 3 250 chipsets have 4 SATA ports, as do the 915/925 chipsets. These are not bound to the PCI bus.

The 915/925 has the ICH6R southbridge and as L337 M33P says, does support 4 SATA connections. Many of the boards that use the chipset are DDR2, so be careful when looking.

Back