• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WTF is wrong w/ my DSL

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gongo56

So, i'm using SBC Yahoo DSL. for some reason, it seems that my DL speed is capped at 40k/s. it'll initially start at 200k/s (a very acceptable speed) and then within 5 seconds of the dl, drop to 40 k/s and stay there. It's definatly not the website that's causing this problem... tried to talk to tech support even tier 2 guys, but their answer has been, we gotta send a tech... if it's our problem we'll fix it but if we determin it's not our problem you're gonna pay for the tech... yeah i bet i can figure how that's going to go... any help?

Run some spyware programs such as ad aware/spy s&d/hijackthis.......Ussually dsl gets slows down where you're too far away from your service provider. The closest one always gets the best bandwidth.......

Do you any firewall on your pc?

check to make sure no services are running in the background that might be eating up bandwidth. You may have line garbage on your phone line. Or you just might live in an area where alot of people have dsl and it's just plain slow :bang head I know I had the same problem when I had a cable modem, I couldnt get speeds past 30-50k/sec...even after having over 20 techs come out to the house (no im not lieing over 20!!)

finally i gave up and switched to DSL extreme and now I never get downloads less than 320Kb/sec which is niiiiiice

find out who sbc's dsl carrier is in your area. many times if their carrier noticed some instability in your line they will cap you at a much lower speed then you pay for without informing you.

i've had 2 isps do this to me.

if you goto broadbandreports.com and goto the sbc forums and ask around you can probably get some real help on getting your dl speed back to where it should be.

I had Earthlink DSL for a while in Burnsville, MN. I was paying for 768/256 service, but I only got about 256/56 for $39.99/mo. I complained about it many times, they sent a few techs over, and said that their was noise on the line, which caused the slow speed. The tech said that the problem was on the main feeder line into our apartment complex. They wouldnt do anything about it. I got to the point that I called everyday, and finally they asked if I wanted to cancel my service (I had a 2yr contract with them) with no penalties. I said DAM* RIGHT, cancel it.

I am now working at my local Telephone office, installing and maintaining their DSL equipment. We guarentee out service, and if it isnt up to spec, we fix it right away. I would try what was said above, and if that still doesnt work, call up your ISP and complain. If you arent getting what is advertised, and they dont do anything about it, put a complaint into the Better Business Bureau.

Gongo56 said:
So, i'm using SBC Yahoo DSL. for some reason, it seems that my DL speed is capped at 40k/s. it'll initially start at 200k/s (a very acceptable speed) and then within 5 seconds of the dl, drop to 40 k/s and stay there. It's definatly not the website that's causing this problem... tried to talk to tech support even tier 2 guys, but their answer has been, we gotta send a tech... if it's our problem we'll fix it but if we determin it's not our problem you're gonna pay for the tech... yeah i bet i can figure how that's going to go... any help?

What you need to do before they send someone out is run some trace routes to servers you're trying to download from, or game servers, or whatever. If the lag (high ping response times) are on the first 1-5 hops, it ussually indicates the problem is on THEIR network. It's possible a router is down somewhere on the path to your download and causing problems beyond their control. Also make sure your lines look good and aren't chewed or anything like that. If you check that stuff there's no chance of it being your own fault (unless of course your settings are screwed). Good luck.

Gongo56 said:

All downloads have that 'surge' at the beginning, you aren't actually getting that speed though.

That speed is normal for some DSL connections.

WuChild said:
All downloads have that 'surge' at the beginning, you aren't actually getting that speed though.

That speed is normal for some DSL connections.

with mozilla the download starts when you click save, the entire time you're choosing where to put the file the file is already downloading, when you finally name the file and choose the location, the speedometer kicks in and you see a huge surge, because it thinks you instantly downloaded all the data that was being downloaded while you chose your location. i'm assuming IE works the same? never thought about it when i used IE

Sucka said:
What you need to do before they send someone out is run some trace routes to servers you're trying to download from, or game servers, or whatever. If the lag (high ping response times) are on the first 1-5 hops, it ussually indicates the problem is on THEIR network. It's possible a router is down somewhere on the path to your download and causing problems beyond their control. Also make sure your lines look good and aren't chewed or anything like that. If you check that stuff there's no chance of it being your own fault (unless of course your settings are screwed). Good luck.

This is good advice.

I see around 50ms lag over 4 hops before I get out of my Alltel network. :mad:

I don't know if they could do anything about it if I called them.

KfistoRok said:
This is good advice.

I see around 50ms lag over 4 hops before I get out of my Alltel network. :mad:

I don't know if they could do anything about it if I called them.

Ussually 200ms or less is "acceptable" latency for broadband, at least according to Cox. But it's worth a shot.

Back