• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Doom3 on 1Ghz P3 ti4200 softquadro test (results ongoing)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gingaaar

Hi all,

System spec P3 as in sig but with ti4200 128mb 8x agp (running at 2x for some reason i cant fix).

Just in case your interested, and like me your to poor to buy anything new for your system, i wanted to let you know the sort of performance i am getting from Doom 3 but alas i have not yet had time to find out how to display Frames per Second!

Still, I can tell you that when my ti4200 128mb was softquadro'ed i had a realy jerky animation in 640x480 lowest settings!

Yep! I thought Doom was going to be a bugger but hey not that much!

Anyhow, I junked the Softquadro and reinstalled Dtonator 61.71 (or somthing) drivers and behold! ... usable!

A little overclock of ti4200 from 250/515 to 278/571 and this so far is my results dispersing the theory that you need 1.5Ghz to run this game.

High quality and ultra high quality in 800x600 AND 1024 x 768 no AA or AF, playable, must be over 30FPS although sometimes a jitter in ultra high quality.

Ultra High with Quincunx and 4xAF - unplayable but around 10FPS i would say.

I have trilinear enabled (dont know if its right or wrong to do this) and Vertical sync always off. Performance set to quality and high performance make no difference.

Im not saying that My card is great and the graphics dont look much cop without AA but Ill get the best combination yet and then post again if somewone can get me a way to check FPS.

Its 1.23am now here in England and my brain cant take anymore.

Im thinking i can either go for ultra high with AA and AF at 640x480 or 2x AA and no AF on 800 by 600 ultra high.

I must admit though, Even SHREK 2 Struggled with the softquadro mod...

Wonder why games dont like it so?

Ging.

to view your fps in d3 open the console with ctrl+alt+~

then type in

com_showfps 1

hit enter and your good to go :thup:

I'll have to tell my friend about this since he was wondering if it would run on a dual 1.2 ghz athlon MP with a gig of ram and a FX5800.

Thanks I'll have to get his results.

speed bump said:
I'll have to tell my friend about this since he was wondering if it would run on a dual 1.2 ghz athlon MP with a gig of ram and a FX5800.

Thanks I'll have to get his results.

lol! and why shouldnt it thats twice as powerful as mine!

To be honest I think any games manufacturer that didnt allow the game to run on older machines would be stupid as they would be losing valuble customers, not everyone can afford the latest kit!

I was surprised when DICE made Battlefield 1942 run on transform and lighting capable cards only but to progress forward the games manufacturerers do need to draw a line somewhere.

A lot of people I know are still running celeron 600's! Poor sods.

Thanks for the FPS, I had a virus on my machine and I have done a registry cleanup, ad/spyware removal and about to do a disk defrag to make sure its optimal, please watch this space as I will be editing this post bit by bit in the next few days listing all the resolutions and settings my machine is capable of and posting the FPS.

== scores removed due to inaccuracy ==== 31/08/04

Ging

Last edited:
If you run the showmemoryusage command for D3 you can see that in single player mode it eats 1.6-2.0Gigs of memory which means that on most systems most of that is being paged. A system with 2 gigs of ram would show a much greater improvement in peformance.

I'm able to run 1024x768 at 60fps and about 45-50 fps during heavy combat
1600x1200 at 50fps and 25-35fps heavy combat

See sig for my rig. I believe if I had at least 2 gigs of ram the system would run alot nicer, I wish I had room in my rig for more ram to test out the differences. Yes D3 is cpu intensive, but I think it needs more memory than anything else (along with a good video card of course)

a fast way to find out what your performance is, at least a close indicator, is to run the time demo.
from the menu screen open the console then type in:

timedemo demo1

make sure to run it twice for each res, the first pass will be real choppy but the second pass will load from cache and be smooth.
then post your scores for each setting along with some real gaming fps.

JamminPotato said:
looks like d3 may need some new minimum specs!

LOL! This is turning out to be a small nightmare! Why? Well I have seen somthing that I have not seen in any other game I have played...

Unstable (Unsmooth) FPS... I can run 800 by 600 and see it vary from 7 to 20 fps... For instance in Unreal Tourn 3 I sort of get an idea but I dont see an average.

I will therefore edit my previous post and remove those FPS scores as I will never be able to fill them in accurately but I will try that time demo.

Anyhow, I think you guys may be interested in this link which seems to be a very complete guide to tweeking Doom3.

Ill be back in a week or so when I have worked out a way forward with this but I think that I will still need to upgrade to get a reasonable play out of this game.... However I can say that its has been played heavily for the day and has scared the crap out of me a few times so if your running a slow computer like mine (but for god sake no slower!) it will play ok!

TimeDemo scores to come.

Tweek guide :- http://www.tweakguides.com/Doom3_1.html

Check it out.

Ging :drool:

well a 1GHz p3 would own a 1.5GHz p4 and ti4200s are still very fast cards, especially in Ogl games like doom3. still the 7 to 20fps hes getting wouldnt be too playable for me. I am hoping for 40+ fps at all time and with a 2.6GHz a64 and ti4200(or 9700 if faster) doom3 should fly at like 1280x960 medium+ details

Back