• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tools?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Super Nade

† SU(3) Moderator  †
Hello all:

I'm a self-build/OC Noob and was hoping you experts here could help me.
I'd like to put together a gaming/scientific computing box. I searched on the forums but nobody has spoken about the right mechanical tools being used. Do I need special tools to attach the processor to the Mobo or special screwdrivers? I was also looking for Noob proof info on fixing the processor to the Mobo,attaching/DETACHING the fan/heatsink and using thermal compounds.
One final Q:-
Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that? I get precision temprature control (.01 K) using a TEC/Thermistor (Marlow Industries) and an AD590 on my lasers so I was wondering if this could be a viable option. The TEC I use operates at +/- 12V and can draw 5A. It can cool the laser block to -30 C, although I set it at room temprature.

Sorry if I've cross posted.

Thank you all.

Tentative config:
ASUS AV8, 3500+, Gainward 6800 GT (If I have the bread! else 5700), Case/Power/Cooling (?), 1G Corsair value plus DDR400, Sony DVD RW, Audigy 7.1 (If I have the bread! else 5.1).

"Do I need special tools to attach the processor to the Mobo or special screwdrivers?"

Answer: No for most things, you just need a standard phillips head screw driver. Most processors just get pushed into a socket and a retention bar lowered to keep them in. This is explaineed well usually in the motherboard maual

Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that?

Some have tried thing SIMILAR but not the same, you couldn't jsut stick a TEC on there, you would have to water cool the cpu and then chill the water cool lines with a TEC, i think i might be awrong on this though so someone else please correct me.

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

tools....1 philips screw driver medium in size....
that's it...maybe a flat head screw driver to put on the HSF but computers are incredibly simple to put together in all honesty.

As for using a TEC, I strongly recommend you DO NOT, that's DO NOT do that. Here are a couple of reasons:
First, your TEC will not cool one of todays modern CPU's (your tech puts out 60 watts only...you want 150+ to cool a modern CPU that's OC'ed...probably more)
Second, you need to insulate the entire socket with dielectric grease and neoprene to prevent condensation.
Third, you need a second PSU to drive the powerful peltier (peltier and TEC are pretty much interchangeable) which is expensive!
Fourth, your gonna need an entire watercooling setup to cool the hot side of the peltier.
Fifth....that's just a lot of work, and for the cost and time put in your probably better off buying a phase change cooling system which works much much better :)

But on the good side, you don't need to buy any special tools :D

Wow! Ajrettke and JamminPotato ..thanks a lot guys!
I didn't think about condensation and I assumed (incorrectly) that it is sufficient to air cool a TEC. I can't wait to begin purchasing!

I get paid tomorrow!!!!!!!!

Thanks again fellas.

Tools you *need*

Philips screwdriver
medium sized flat screwdriver (for HSF clips)

Tools that come in handy

Pliers
Wire cutters
small spanner/socket (for mobo standoffs)
cable ties
canned air
soldering iron
knife

Thanks, _slh_:

Is it safe to solder (if necessary) stuff? Anything I must watch out for? Any special solder required? If I need to solder copper leads can I use Phosphorous pentoxide (better flux) or should I stick with the standard flux (Which means its going to take a bit longer to solder joints and there is risk of heat damage if any)?

We don't use standard canned air for cleaning optics because of moisture content. Is it safe to blow air onto the processor {for cleaning the top surface only??? } before applying thermal paste or should I use ethanol? Is this even necessary?

Thank you all for your patience!!

Has anybody tried using a seperate TEC element stuck onto the processor? Is there room for that? I get precision temprature control (.01 K) using a TEC/Thermistor (Marlow Industries) and an AD590 on my lasers so I was wondering if this could be a viable option. The TEC I use operates at +/- 12V and can draw 5A. It can cool the laser block to -30 C, although I set it at room temprature.

Most would put an intermediary in there, ie. a coldplate.

More info might be found here.

Baltoos and Guderian ,
Thanks guys!

PS*I'm putting together a N00b guide to building a box. This would be in the second chapter.

Super Nade said:
Thanks, _slh_:

Is it safe to solder (if necessary) stuff? Anything I must watch out for? Any special solder required? If I need to solder copper leads can I use Phosphorous pentoxide (better flux) or should I stick with the standard flux (Which means its going to take a bit longer to solder joints and there is risk of heat damage if any)?

We don't use standard canned air for cleaning optics because of moisture content. Is it safe to blow air onto the processor {for cleaning the top surface only??? } before applying thermal paste or should I use ethanol? Is this even necessary?

Thank you all for your patience!!

You should only need the soldering iron for connecting wires, switches, LEDs if you are modding your case. It is perfectly fine. I don't even use flux.

If you're doing volt mods you'll have to be more careful.

im sure there are special tools but they for the most part are un nesscary

i think its kinda of funny that most computers/case's are kinda of on the move to be tool less

tumb screwes , plastic motherboard mounts , thouse things you slide the drives into a bay

in general what i keep around are

1) phillips screw dirver
2) flat head screw driver
3) pair of needle nose plyer ( more for picking stuff out of cracks than anything
4) one tooth brush
5) one can of air

what parts are you getting? we would be able to answer any other questions you have also on that! and that is cool that you are building your own comp! it is man's way to give birth!

There are 4-in-1 screwdrivers that have two sizes of Phillips head tips and two sizes of flat tips, and some also include two sizes of nut drivers as well. I've seen them for anywhere from $3-8 at places like Ace Hardware and auto parts stores.

Thank's guys,

I guess my lab has all the tools you guys mentioned :).

Here's the first half of my order from newegg:-
Artic Silver 5, Sony DVD RW, Fortron 530W PS (thanks to everybody on the forums who helped me with this one).
Raidmax Case. I won't be using the stock PS.

Stuff I'm still gathering info abt:-
Socket 939 MoBo {Its a 50:50 between Asus AV8 and MSI Neo Nforce3}
Processor 3500+
HDD Hitachi 80Gb SATA
Video Gainward 6800GT
Heatsink and fan ??? {forum experts recommend Thermalright..but I don't know how to fix the fan onto it}
Corsair 3200 512 x 2

Thanks again guys.

The Thermalright Heatsinks come with clips to attach the fans. some come with 2 sets of clips on for 80 mm and one for 92 mm . The heatsink also have different mounting holes drilled in the HS for mounting either 25 or 35 mm thick fans.

Roger that Electron.
The recommended Delta fans arn't available on newegg and needless to say I'm wary of the super cheap price vendors on price watch.Where did you get your's from?

Back