• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

noob to amd question about multis

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hawtrawkr

hello i jumped ship and got a a64 a couple weeks ago im having some trouble with setting the mutli lower and getting system to boot im running a a64 2800+ on a chaintech vnf3-250 im using the 5/07 bios atm but have tried the 4/30 one as well and still had trouble with setting the multi to anything lower than 9 in an attempt to test some ram i have.

currently im running my system @ 280x9 1:1 memory and htx3

just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on what i need to do to get system to boot with a 8x multi or so.

ive tried to play with the ht setting i know your spose to keep them under 1000ish on the nforce3. ive also tried diffrent settings with ram and diffrent ratios there and everytime i basicly have the same response ill either hear the post code beep like my memory is way out of wack or it will boot up instantly but with the default setting of the mutli x 200 and ignores the fact that i have the bus set to 280 ie: if i boot in a x8 multi my cpu boots in at 1600mhz 8x200 instead of 8x280 =2240

any advice on what i can do? let me know if theres somethign i left out info wise that would help any diagnosis as help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The A64's multis are unlocked from 4x to the stock multiplier. Try overclocking in ClockGen if you can, that should make it easy.

Btw, that's some killer ram you got on ya.

Gautam said:
The A64's multis are unlocked from 4x to the stock multiplier. Try overclocking in ClockGen if you can, that should make it easy.

Btw, that's some killer ram you got on ya.

yeah i bought it after reading the pqi on newegg thread. soon as they get more in stock im going to by another single 512 stick and a dual kit so far its more than doubled what i was hoping to get out of it and i havent even topped it out :eek: (samsung tccd btw)

is using clockgen my best bet or is there something im overlooking in bios?
like i said im still pretty noobish with amd ive tried reading as much as i could in forums just couldnt figure out why this was keeping multis like they were x 200 stead of the bus i set it too.

give GCPUID a shot (my sig), run the proggy, and if it works, click the red stop watch at the top and it'll let u change multies.

hawtrawkr said:
k when i used clockgen and tried dropping multi down to 8x it just froze everything up am i missing something?

This very strange, i had his same problem on my Shuttle system(exept it was w/ 9-10 multies), and a bios change fixed it, but you have said that you have tryed different bioses. if you boot w/ a 200FSB, and 8 multi in bios, can you increase you HTT through clockgen w/o crashing?

Back