• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati to come with x700xt, x700pro, x700. Finally a 9800p replacement

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18233

Looks like 9800 pros may drop alot in price and everyones gonna want to let em go. I will wait till those x700s are out before deciding what to do next. I may grab the $150 x700 and overclock the core to like 550MHz and the ram to like 350. The core matters MUCH more than the ram, even with the slight ram bottleneck, no 9800xt on air cooled will touch mine :D

Where do you get these overclocking and performance figures from? Just don't count your chickens before they hatch. Overclocking that will be doable, but just don't think they will be better than a 9800pro untill there is proof.

Last edited:
Ahem, do you think it will be that easy?
I believe that the xX00's are running on PCI-E(Except for x800 of course), from looking at your sig, you don't even have a capable motherboard yet.

i doubt it i bet the x700s will be just like the x600s pci-e but thats my educated guess lol we wont know till they come out i hope they will be half of them be agp and the other half be pci-e lol

ati would be VERY dumb not to make an agp verson, agp isnt close to dead, even nvidia is gonna make an agp verson of the 6600gt. I still see pci cards being made *cough* fx5200

not gonna be gone for at least 18 months, by the time agp is gone, I will have moved on from my ti4200 and 9500np anyway

Looks good. Kinda sux that nV didnt anticiapate that ATi would release a PRO. Oh well Im sure they will come up with something.

Overclocker550 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18233

Looks like 9800 pros may drop alot in price and everyones gonna want to let em go. I will wait till those x700s are out before deciding what to do next. I may grab the $150 x700 and overclock the core to like 550MHz and the ram to like 350. The core matters MUCH more than the ram, even with the slight ram bottleneck, no 9800xt on air cooled will touch mine :D

You of all people should know that newer isn't always better....

If not, you'd have dumped your Ti4200 long ago for a FX5200. ;)

Wait and see...wait and see.

well it doesnt matter, if the x700s or 6600s dont impress me, I already have a 9500 or 9700 flying thru games at 9800pro clocks and at 9800pro clocks, it will be buttery smooth. There is also the possibility alot of people may sell their 9800 pros, maybe one will have one that does 500/400 or around those clocks that I may grab if he doesnt rip me off

Overclocker550 said:
alot of people may sell their 9800 pros, maybe one will have one that does 500/400 or around those clocks that I may grab if he doesnt rip me off
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
that means I wont pay close to $300 for one or I might just as well grab a 6800nu and get the same performance but with ps3

Yeah, I really think the 6800's and the X800's are the last AGP mainstays that we will see. The top of the line is always an older design than the budget cards. They used the Budget cards to practice for the next line :beer: The 9600xt was the jump point for the X800's

Overclocker550 said:
well it doesnt matter, if the x700s or 6600s dont impress me, I already have a 9500 or 9700 flying thru games at 9800pro clocks and at 9800pro clocks, it will be buttery smooth. There is also the possibility alot of people may sell their 9800 pros, maybe one will have one that does 500/400 or around those clocks that I may grab if he doesnt rip me off

do you STILL think your ti4200 gives you game play in Doom 3 and Far Cry (playing the full games not demos) equal to that of an overclocked 9800 pro to make the paying field level.

Really come on!

CK

AGP will be gone sooner than you think

Looks like 9800 pros may drop alot in price and everyones gonna want to let em go

Yeah, I really think the 6800's and the X800's are the last AGP mainstays that we will see. The top of the line is always an older design than the budget cards. They used the Budget cards to practice for the next line The 9600xt was the jump point for the X800's

Overclocker550; I intend to keep my overclocked 9800 Pro untill PCI-E is mainstay - maybe even shoot for some SLI depending on what nVidia decides to do with themselves. AGP is not going to last long, and I don't want to invest in something relatively expensive (a new video card, possibly a tandem set of them) that won't be lasting for a while.

I realized; why on earth would I sell my perfectly good video card that is more than fast enough for some solid gaming and benching, when the alternatives for replacement will be only slightly faster - if at all given how my card is happily overclocked (X700), or too expensive for me right now and not 'tried/tested' PCI-E (X800). Not to mention that upgrading would be pretty pointless given how well my 9800 Pro is holding up.

Why would *ANYONE* choose to sell their 9800 in order to buy an AGP X700 at a loss?

Sure the price of the 9800s will continue to drop, the price *has* been dropping quite steadily and predictably since the 9800s were first sold oh so long ago :rolleyes:.

Maybe you should up and buy yourself a 9800 - they are superb overclockers, and great gaming cards :beer:.

hmm,

"alot of people may sell their 9800 pros, maybe one will have one that does 500/400 or around those clocks that I may grab if he doesnt rip me off"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

maybe if you just cut loose with a little extra funds you would have what you seek. if all you want to do is pay as little as possible for a 9800Pro, then what do you expect?????.

as far as knowing before hand what a card or cpu will do, i prefer to have a bit of a mystery, enjoying the discovery of the clock, it is what provides the juice. knowing what it will do before it goes in the rig takes all the fun out of the adventure.

it is just my way of doing things, nothing personal.

baldy :sn:

I dont think I have much interest anymore in the 9800pro/xt after what ive seen with the 6600gt reviews, stock they are like a 9800xt and with .11u they overclock much better. also at $199 they are cheaper than 9800xts too. plus u get ps3.0 I think ill just hold out for a 6600gt unless ati comes with something equally as good, perhaps x700xt?

Back