• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

350 p2 overclock help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

js0440

HELP!!
i'm a newbie to overclocking, and currently have no clue as how to go about it. i heard about it a long time ago and the idea grew on me. of course, i realise what it's all about, and the risks involved, but i don't know how to do it. any help would be appriciated (please don't pick on me just 'cos i'm a newbie- i'm quite good in other areas of computing eg some hardware and microsoft's s*** operating system; i'd move to linux but i don't understand it.)
anyway, the question:
how do i overclock my processor?
it's a p2 350mhz on a micro atx motherboard based on intel 82443bx/zx chipset (reading from handbook).
it doesn't appear to have a name. it may be a tiny motherboard, as that was the original make. please don't use lots of technical jargon, just keep to basics as much as you can. a reply to:
[email protected]
would be better than a reply here.
thanks, js.

Hey, welcome to the forums.

First, this is so we can use the technical jargon, I urge you to read some of the tips and how-to links on our homepage. This is certainly not to discourage you or 'blow you off'. It would benefit you more if you understood why you were changing your settings versus me telling you what to change. Then, if you should run into a problem, you will be able to learn, adapt, and make modifications as you go.

Overclocking is a lot of tinkering, a little luck, and more patience than some people have.

Word of advice, be very specific when asking questions (like "what is FSB??", "Why can't I change the multiplier?", and "Why the hell are you called Pinky?").

Hi js0440, wellcome to the Forum,
the ways to overclock (OC) a Cpu are two: rising the Fsb (system Bus) and/or the Multiplier, this coz the Cpu freq. is the result of Multip x Fsb, infact your P// use a Fsb of 100Mhz and a Multip. of 3.5x.
From long time the multup. is locked on the Intel chips, probably not on your, so you must check your Mobo manual for the jumpers or the Bios settings right to set the parameter, better try before the multip to verify if locked, and after the fsb.
Generally with a chips that works with Fsb of 66Mhz (Celeron for example) are OCed rising the Fsb to 100Mhz, the Celeron,Pentium// & /// at 100Mhz are Oced to 133Mhz and the P/// at 133Mhz around 150 or more.
To gain stable OC the chip temps never must go over 50 degree C, but less is better, and if not stable you must rise a little also the chip voltage (called VCore) not over the 15% of the original value.

Probably you need of many other info at the moment, but I hope it helps you ;)

Back