• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Invisible Hard Drives??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

envy

I have 1 Maxtor 120 GB for storage, and 2 36GB Raptors in raid0.
Well i just formatted, I installed all the Raid drivers and everything and i think i set up the raid correctly. In the bios on boot up, all 3 drives show on buses 0 1 and 2 respectively. (Maxtor on 2)

Now i got windows XP home ed. installed and the only drive that shows in My Computer is ONE 36gb raptor...

Where are the other 2? I've never formatted a multi-drive system before...did i do something wrong or is there something else i should have done, or something i need to enable before i can see the drives? Thanks.

Open up diskmgmt.msc from the run prompt and see if they are listed there - if a drive doesn't have any allocated space yet it will appear here, but may not appear under my computer. You'll need to allocate space for a partition and format.

Open up devmgmt.msc from the run prompt also and see if there are any devices listed as unknown or with an exclamation point next to them - you may need to install RAID drivers in windows before they will appear.

I used to use a PCI RAID controller, and upon boot I had to go into the controllers bios and add both disks into the array and select the stripe size.

I'm not familiar with your motherboard to give you exact directions, but this should allow you to get close. If you do all of this correctly you should be good to go AFAIK. Let me know what you find after doing what I said above.

Yeah im pretty sure i chose raid0, of course there still could be a chance my finger slipped right before i hit Enter but i doubt it. If i had chosen raid1, what would that mean?

In Disk Management, only one raptor shows, and in Device Manager, i can see One Raptor and the Maxtor.

It would mean that you get the capacity of only one drive in the array, but if one drive fails, you would not lose any data. There is no performance advantage to RAID1.

Ok, well is there any way to check which RAID i'm running?
I just installed Silicon Serial ATA RAID from the motherboard CD and it shows all three of my drives..

I formatted again and re-installed windows, im positive im on raid0 now, my C drive is showing the right size (2x36GB minus whatever) but my F: drive (the maxtor) STILL isnt showing!
Its driving me crazy, i had so many songs on there and if i've lost them i'll go ape :-/

You have to add that drive to an array of its own... If it is not assigned anywhere, it will not show up. This is what I had to do on my Fasttrak IDE controller... If I had a single disk which was just by itself, I still had to add that drive to an "array", and then it would function normally. You should retain your data I believe.

how do i do that?
The problem now is that it appears as unformatted. It shows in my computer and everything, but i just cant access it.
I started a new thread http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=326690
for the new problem. I read through a similar problem dony_paycheck had and he ended up using recovery software to get it back...which i cant afford.
Right now it looks like im screwed..

Back