• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hard drive mirror / raid

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CheeZeTM

planing on running raid or "mirror" two hard drives, the PC has 2 free eide plugs comeing off the mobo(one eide cable 2 plugs on that cable) was wondering if i could mirror with these or if i had to buy a raid card to do the mirroring, any help will be appreciateds to the fullest

Jamie folse

The motherboard in your sig has one ATA-133 port that will support RAID, and two SATA ports that will support RAID. Mirrored RAID will be fairly slow on a single ATA channel, so I'd suggest using two SATA drives in mirrored RAID for optimal performance. Still, write speed will be lower than using one drive alone.

I found this at the ASUS site for your mobo...

"Multi-RAID for ATA133 & Serial ATA
The P4C800-E Deluxe offers the most complete RAID solution. A Promise SATA controller offers RAID 0, 1 and 10 functions with Max. 2 UltraATA 133 ports and 2 SATA HD ports, enabling users to build a RAID array with any 2, 3 or 4 of the ports. With unique multi-RAID function, RAID 0 and RAID 1 array can co-exist."

You should not need a RAID card. Just any two eIDE ports. SATA would be better though.

Odd. On the same site, in the Specifications page, it says this:

Promise 20378 RAID controller:
-1 x UltraDMA 133 support two hard drives
-2 x Serial ATA -RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, Multiple RAID

Does anyone know how many IDE RAID channels this board really supports?

no no no, it isent for my PC, it is for another one that doesent have a raid card built in, the model is

asus a7v266 i am not sure if it has a letter behind it, i would have to check

Well in that case you'll definitely need a RAID card. :rolleyes:

I once had problems with an ATA RAID card in an A7A266, but that was likely restricted to my specific setup.

Back to the Asus P4C800E deluxe.
You are right Restorer, the advertising is misleading.
It looks like Raid from the SATA ports is from both the Southbridge and Promise controllers but RAID from the Promise controller only for IDE.
I am shopping for a board and was looking at this one. Maybe I will ask on the Asus forum.

Back