• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

List of harddrive failures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DragonFire

Does anyone know if there is any websites that list the failure rates of harddrive by make and model??

The reason I ask is I need a new harddrive but have had bad luck with all the HD compaines.

Id really like to get a Seagate SATA drive since they are native but Iv had 2 80GB ata100 drives of the same model die on me, Iv had an IBM drive die on me, 2 WD die on me.......Iv only owned 1 Maxtor drive and its a really slow 15GB and I mean slow as compared to other 15-20GB drives.....

If no one knows of any sites, what about from personal exp listing make and model.....

Thanks....

http://storagereview.com/ might have that information.

If you've had that many drives fail you might not have very good ventilation. How many fans do you have and how where are they located? Your power supply might be supplying voltages that are out of range, too. What brand and rating is your power supply?

-Andy

Andyman902042 said:
If you've had that many drives fail you might not have very good ventilation. How many fans do you have and how where are they located? Your power supply might be supplying voltages that are out of range, too. What brand and rating is your power supply?

-Andy

Well all the drives that have died on me have been over the last 4 years or so. I have always had one 80mm fan in the drive cage for every case Iv owned. At the moment I only have the one fan since I watercool.... My PSU has always been 350-430W.

I just had my 2nd Seagate die on me after about 1.5 years, it replaced the first one I got that died after a week. My IBM didnt really die, one of the ide pins broke off. I think both the WD drives I had lasted about 1.5-2years before dieing on me.

I really do need a 120-200GB drive but Im afraid who to go with. Iv read review after review. Maxtor is the only company that hasnt had a drive die on me but its also a 15GB 5400rpm drive unlike todays 80GB+ 7200rpm drives.

I am thinking of going with a Seagate again but Id like to find a website or something that lists some kind of failure rate. Iv owned 4 Seagate HDs, 2 have died, those 2 were both the same model number making me think there was something wrong with it....even seagate doesnt make it anymore.

tom10167 said:
......This REALLY sounds like an external problem. As in NOT the hard drive's fault. :eek:

So explain how a drive that is in a computer that does nothing more then act as a fileserver with very light use go bad while idle from external problems??

Well anyways, storagereview had what I was looking for, under there Reliability Database. Out of the 3 models for my size hd (80GB) the model I have seems to have the most failures and a lot of then in the first 3-6 months.

Oddly enough, Segate is rated the most reliabile for the sizes I'm looking for ,next up would be WD...

Back