No BOINC'in on small a harddrive.

Went to put BOINC on one of my farm units that's running WIN2000 on a 1.5 gig harddrive and it no fit. Not enough room! Shoot, now I have to clean the basement to find another small drive.

My BOINC install only takes up like 6MB. I know there is a preference in the settings to limit the amount of space it will use up. By default I think it is set up for like 100GB. Does anyone here have enough WU to use 100GB. I set mine for 1GB for the max, and havent had any trouble.
    Main Rig: Asus P8Z68 Pro Gen3 * Core i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz * 8GB (2x 4GB) Mushkin Blackline PC3-1600 * GeForce GTX 560TI 448 1280MB * 6TB Storage * LG BD/RW * Lian-Li PC-V2000B * Dell 24" 2407FPW & Asus 24" VS248H
    Backup Rig: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P * C2Q Q9400 @ 3.2Ghz * 4GB (2x 2GB) G-Skill PC2-8000 * Sapphire Radeon 4870 512MB * 320GB Storage * Samsung SH-S203N DVD+/-RW * Apex Full Tower Case * 2x Dell 19" LCD
    HTPC: Abit IP35PRO * C2D E6600 @ Stock * 2GB G-Skill PC6400 * Geforce 8600GT 256MB * 640GB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-ROM * 55" Samsung 1080p 3D LED LCD via HDMI

Media Server: DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D * A64 3800+ X2 * 1GB PC3200 * Powercolor X800XL * 14TB Storage * Lite On 16x DVD-RW

Heatware

You need to change your prefs on the boinc website to adjust max hard drive usage accordingly.

I can't even get the program installed on that hard drive, just keeps saying there's not enough space. Well I've got two other machines I'll be migrating over this weekend if the workunits keep flowing so I'll just leave this one till the last.

they're still flowing, even with the MD5 errors they still goin. Suprisingly enough. Anyone want to start placing wagers on how long it will be til the next outage?

Quote Originally Posted by Xtc4u
    they're still flowing, even with the MD5 errors they still goin. Suprisingly enough. Anyone want to start placing wagers on how long it will be til the next outage?
    Friday...

yeah they don't seem to have a good track record for weekends do they? ok we have 1 that says friday. Anyone else?

He he I think monday afternoon. They discover some sort if failure over the weekend and decide to replace the database monday evening. And it will probably last all week...

I just hope they don't try to make any "tweaks" to the system on friday. Those seem to always go bad, and result in no workie all weekend.

example:
    September 10, 2004
    A minor bug was discovered causing work units to be sent out and credits granted. Not knowing how to deal with this, we applied a fix to the scheduler code that has resulted in the scheduler misinforming users to upgrade to version 9. Due to the weekend we are short handed and short on time. So the fix will take longer then expected.
    7 DP
    Got a fast computer sitting around idle all day? PUT IT TO WORK!
    Member Of Overclockers.com's BOINC Teams
    SETI@home, Climate Prediction, Einstein@Home, Predictor@home, LHC@home
    Click here to visit The BOINC/SETI section of the forums
    Click here to visit The Team32 Folding section of the forums

Heatware

I would have to agree with TC and say Friday but not due to any outage.

They will most likely just put all services back to alpha on Friday so
    they can join the validator for the weekend. Weekend Family Reunions.

My cache doth runeth over.

Returning to the original question, before you activate any of the BOINC projects, log into any of them (SETI in this case) go to your account, and the should be a general preference link in the page. Click onto it and you get into the BOINC preference (you can have separate profile for the home, school or work PC) there you should be able to ñower your HD requirements.

On a second thought, you are saying that you have WIN2000 in a 1.5 GB disk. Is that enough to have blotted Windows alone? I checked my XP Pro installation and it's over 1.5 GB by itself.....try removing unnecessary programs and cleaning the temp files.
    Have you checked the Forum policies?!!!!! Do it now!!!!!
    Currently the 11th team in the world in SETI@Home II (aka S@H BOINC)
    Currently the 54th team in the world in Einstein@Home
    Join the ONLY team to crunch for!!!!!
    Now backed up by the Danish Jedi Alliance
    "We are a team. We are a community. We are a fellowship made strong by mutual respect and shared dedication to the task of enriching all who come here. We are respectable, for we share our bounty. We will endure, for we continue to grow. We will continue to grow as long as those who come to us find what they need for their own betterment, and the betterment of those who follow after them."

Saw this post this morning:

September 9, 2004
    Stats are now available on your cell phone. See 'Your Account' for the URL.
    This feature was developed by Carl Christensen of CPDN.

Note to Berkeley: FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GET THE DARN VALIDATOR WORKING BEFORE YOU SETUP STATS BY CELL PHONE!

Okay I'm off the box now.

While we're at it I couldn't resist modifying yesterday's boinc status:

September 8, 2004
    Yesterday we discovered that when result files are lost, say due to lousy backup procedures (restores involve neither the DB nor the ULDL directories) the validator ends up in a endless loop. This is not actually a problem since the validator is rarely doing anything to start with. The entire result set for an affected workunit gets ignored and after a while the validator ends up enumerating only affected workunits and is thus in a loop. We couldn't care less when we discovered this because there aren't any workunits to enumerate at this point. Today we have coded a fix (we think) and are testing it in the alpha project. In other words it's already gone into regular service. While the validator is off credits are not given but they might show up once we turn the validator back on.

The coffee maker continues to run well.

Quote Originally Posted by TC
    While we're at it I couldn't resist modifying yesterday's boinc status:

September 8, 2004
    Yesterday we discovered that when result files are lost, say due to lousy backup procedures (restores involve neither the DB nor the ULDL directories) the validator ends up in a endless loop. This is not actually a problem since the validator is rarely doing anything to start with. The entire result set for an affected workunit gets ignored and after a while the validator ends up enumerating only affected workunits and is thus in a loop. We couldn't care less when we discovered this because there aren't any workunits to enumerate at this point. Today we have coded a fix (we think) and are testing it in the alpha project. In other words it's already gone into regular service. While the validator is off credits are not given but they might show up once we turn the validator back on.

The coffee maker continues to run well.
    The only reason the coffee maker works is because that's leased from a company that has a service tech come around twice a day and maintain it.

SkyHook

Grandfather of Crunchers Senior Morpheus's Avatar
    Laughing my ass off....
    Kris

Notice to signature reader: The entire physical universe, including
    this signature, may one day collapse back into an infinitesimally
    small space. Should another universe subsequently re-emerge,
    the absence of this signature in that universe cannot be guaranteed.

OverClocking the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence