• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash 6800 GT to Ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
If these cards are so similar, and the only thing that is different is the clock speeds, then can a bios flash mod a GT into an ultra? Is this like the classic 5900 to 5950 ultra? I have done that many times and want to see if it's a possibility. Thanks!

-Collin-

There's some info on that in the forums. Do a search.

There is a difference between the GT and the Ultra. What the BIOS flash does is not only increase the default clock speed of your card, but also increases the voltage. There are modded bioses out there also that only increases your voltage.

you really don't need to flash to ultra, just get better cooling and mod a GT bios and you'll be on your way

Well, sorry to double post then...I couldn't find anything. Anyway...I guess I will just leave it and use coolbits.

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
Well, sorry to double post then...I couldn't find anything. Anyway...I guess I will just leave it and use coolbits.

-Collin-

Hasn't been talked about in a while, but some people that did this mod were left with paper weights, but then again there is no gain without risk. Try looking through these threads.

everyone wants the "bling" factor that rules us.. I mean its like teh same reason you soup up your car... You wanna beat the higher end cars wiht your civic... haha

hypertek said:
everyone wants the "bling" factor that rules us.. I mean its like teh same reason you soup up your car... You wanna beat the higher end cars wiht your civic... haha

Actually....the bling factor is not as important....

When you overclock with programs such as Coolbits or something like that, I heard the changing frequencies can be damaging, since the clocks don't change until you are in windows. I did the bios flash on my 5900 so it would always run at the same speed. Just something I heard...I couldn't care less who I impress with my card.

I totally understand your theory on the civic though. :) If I drove a civic, I'd want to pimp it out.

-Collin-

I'll probably flash my GT with higher voltage and default clock speeds of the 6800Ultra, but not any higher. in truth, thats probably the highest I'll go.

Back