• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

whats the fastest chip i can get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RuffRyder88

hey guys,

right now i have a p4 2.4b, which is oc'd to 2.6. I have an abit board (not sure which one, may be in sig)

I want to upgrade as msfs2004 is waaaay to slow. whats the fastest i can go to? I suspect its only the 2.8b, in which case its not really worth.

which leaves more oc'ing, but my cpu wont seem to go past 2.6, even at 1.65 vcore! could it be the psu (generic 350w).

anyway, cheers
bob

If your motherboard has a limitation for 533FSB processors, then the P4 3.06 is the fastest 533FSB Intel has.

mmm, 3.06, even so, not really worth it.

about oc'ing.

I suspect its the psu because my voltages across the booard are quite erratic and quite low, especially the 3.3v, which drops to 2.8 regularly. Do you think changing my generic £10 350w psu for a super flower 420W psu would help?

RuffRyder88 said:
I suspect its the psu because my voltages across the booard are quite erratic and quite low, especially the 3.3v, which drops to 2.8 regularly. Do you think changing my generic £10 350w psu for a super flower 420W psu would help?

i think you just answered your own question.

yeah, i know it sounds quite likely, but im quite a noob at this, so I want to make sure that i don't spend £50 or so for no reason. The thing is, i have an sl6ef 2.4b, wich ive heard should reach 3ghz. I have crucial pc2700 ram (512mb) and an abit board ( not sure which one, but i don't think its holding me back)

Once i get past 2.61ghz, the pc either wont boot into windows (blue screen then restart), or it will but will restart about 10-20 secs in. Temps are around 60 under load according to my monitor, buti dont trust that thing, cuz those are my temps at stock. Basically, i dont think temps are my prob.

what do u think?

mata quit spamming.

Ruff, you really have to find out what motherboard you have before anyone can really help with what's up. get sisoft's sandra (free version on their website). it will tell you basically everything you need to know about your pc.

One thing for sure is that your generic power supply really does't help. If I was you, I would take a guest and try a more powerfull psu. You will not waste your money for sure, because the psu will be good when you will upgrade later......

jszent said:
Ruff
I hate to bust your bubble but you won't get to 3 gigs with 2700ddr...........need to upgrade..........good luck

He could reach 200MHz with quality PC2700. What brand of memory do you have Ruff?

RuffRyder88 said:
mmm, 3.06, even so, not really worth it.

Don't make fun of the 3.06B. They usually run close to 3.6 gig at 1.55 VCORE. Many of the 'C' processors won't do that at that voltage. Keep in mind the fsb is low, like 156 fsb there. I'm talking the 3.06Bs that came out in late 2003, as they were the best cores Intel had to offer at the time (3.06B being the biggest CPU available). Somebody said the recent D1 stuff is not as good, but not sure.

hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

I understand what u are saying about the mem holding me back, obviusly if i want 3ghz or higher, i'll probably need pc3200. however, isnt pc2700 rated at 333mhz?? surely that means i should be able to get more than 2.61ghz? btw, its crucial ram.

lets see, oc'ing probs can be:

chip - wouldnt have thought so (tried raising vcore)
temps - again, dont think ive hot that wall yet
memory - ???
psu - ???
mobo - its an Abit bd7II

mmm, think i may get a new psu. what is the minimum, wattage wise:

a) purely for this setup
b) in case i upgrade to an amd64 3000+ and 6 series graphic card

cheers,
bob

jszent said:
Ruff
I hate to bust your bubble but you won't get to 3 gigs with 2700ddr...........need to upgrade..........good luck

Why not? Set the memory ratio to 1:1 and crank that 2.4B up to 166 FSB (18X166=3000). RAM speed would be DDR333 which is exactly what PC2700 is rated at.

A good power supply is always important to overclocking and you should seriously consider investing in a better one. Unfortunately a good PS is not cheap. I would get at least a good quality 400w unit. Another important spec that is often overlooked is the +12v amps. I'd say 18 amps is minimum and getting one that is 20 amps or higher is better yet. Hard to beat the Antec True 480w just to throw one suggestion out. The Antec True 430w will work if you are on a tight budget.

BUT, I really think it's mainly BIOS settings that are holding you back in your situation.

First and most importantly, lock the AGP/PCI by selecting "fix" and setting it to "66/33". Try using the 1:1 memory ratio and for now just use the "SPD" RAM timing setting.

You might want to bump up the vdimm to 2.6v or 2.65v if it's only at 2.5v. Those Abit mobos tend to undervolt a little, so I'd just bump up the vcore to +5% to see what that does.

Give that a try and see what happens. Please report back with your results.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the Antec True Power series. Believe it or not I have an Antec True330 Watt running my rig and it has always performed well for me. An Antec430 or higher would serve you well into the next few upgrades.

Back