• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flashing V9950

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich Avery

I have a FX5900 which is at 400/850 ..if I try and oc it with coolbits for some strange reason the frame rates drop to way below normal. Maybe this is the throttling I dunno!!

I think it would work ok at 5950 speeds so I want to see how a flash goes.. but my A: drive is currently on and plugged in but doesn't want to read a floopy and doesn't make that usually floppy noise when booting!! So I was wandering is there a windows based flash utility I could use instead??

Ok I have the A380U Leadtek .rom which will take me to 5950 and I think i know how to do this once in dos...

I type nvflash -f then type or choose A380U.ROM!!!

although according to guru3d the second command ought to be a bin file!!

Please explain if this is right way to do it?? I have made a backup.BIN file with savebios and all these files are in one folder on my HDD.

Also how do I get into DOS without an A:\ is it ctrl C or something??

I tried changing my cable but it's a no go. The A Drive light is on constantly which doesn't seem right but anyway it's not functioning. I have the four pin power cable plugged in too.

I have a success to share :)

First I managed to get my floppy drive working by changing the cables :eek:

Then i made a boot disk and added wfflash files along with a backup of original V9950 bios with savebios. Then i tried the leadtek A380U bios which alot of folk seemed to be using.

But after doing this my clock speeds went down to very low levels even in 3d applications. Then not knowing if my backup would work i flashed with it and it worked thank goodness!!

So then I tried a reference nvidia 5950 bios which I thought hadn't worked cause clocks said 300/950 but that is for 2d, for 3d it uses 475/950.

So now it seems i have a FX5950 card which is FANTASTIC, i recommend doing it for sure.

My temps pre flash were 35ambient 51 core and post are 32 ambient 37 core which is nice. But i bet the fan life [two of them] is now halved..

My aquamark score is 46492 (CPU: 7861, GFX: 6600) ...still got some juice in it too i rekon with my temps.

Last edited:
Only thing i've noticed now is that colour white seems too bright in 3d applications, not sure why that is!!

I have gotten my Aquamarks from 42k to almost 54k flashing it to a 5950u. I like you, used the gainward bios too.

I doubt you'll hit that high without HT though...

Back