• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheap backpack laptops?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

13rian

I meant, cheap backpack FOR laptop?

*9/12 small Update*

I feel pretty naiive about the variety, but from what I have read, the Jansport Optimizer sounds like it really fits for my profile well (but it's $100 *expensive*).

It's for college use so I'm looking for one that looks like a normal backpack (not too conspicuous for someone to steal, enough organized (2.5+ dividers/pockets) space for several books as well as the powercord and mouse, and padded shoulder straps (like Jansports Airlift strap system) for everyday comfort.

My laptop's dimensions are 14.2" x 11.5" x 1.8" and ~8lbs in weight.

Thanks for the feedback!

Note: If there isn't really anything that seems to suite me, I will probably get the Optimizer (although the Airlift EXOS system looks sexy :drool: ). Does Jansport still come with life-time warranty?

Last edited:
I have a Targus notebook carrying case, its very nice, but I also have a notebook backpack, its a Sony Vaio, as I have a vaio, and it was only $50 new off ebay. You cant go wrong there. check ebay for them, you can get one pretty cheap.

I use a Swiss Army "Web Sak" and I love it. It's last 4 years so far through heavy use and it doesn't have a single loose thread on it. It was very expensive but it has a lifetime warrenty, as well as a notebook theft warrenty. It's very very comfortable and very rugged. I know you said you weren't looking for anything that expensive but I just wanted to throw that out there for anyone else that might be looking for something that sees this thread.

http://www.swissarmytravelgear.com/webstore/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=2549&category=130

-Myhre

Just make sure to get one of those wires and lock your nootbook down where ever you bring it.

Thanks for the input so far. I still think those top 9 notebook backpacks look a little irregular or even oddly shaped (one looked almost triangular), but it's good to know the range of colors, shapes, and sizes :thup:

A number of people seem to be leading me towards eBay, but I don't get the system of secure transaction other than escrow :confused: . It doesn't seem like many people use an escrow service so what do normal eBay'ers do for safe transfer?

Last edited:
Normally buy from a Power Seller, or someone with high feedback. Ive been buying/selling stuff on ebay for 3 years now, and never had one problem. If you pay with paypal you get buyer protection, which if you dont get your item, you can file a claim with paypal to get your money back.

I thought Paypal had the misconception of being a protective transaction medium. Like all it really does is just provide another way to easily transfer money and that's it. I mean, once it's in the seller's account, I don't see how they can get it back if a seller mysteriously disappears. I also heard that hackers could easily jack somebodies account with a high feedback rating and just start selling empty promises.

after quickly reviewing the paypal site:

PayPal will investigate your claim and attempt to collect all funds deemed recoverable. Members are entitled to all funds PayPal collects on their behalf. However, fund recovery is not guaranteed.

PayPal's Buyer Complaint Policy:
Buyers who pay for an eBay item with PayPal Buyer Credit automatically have full purchase protection against non-receipt. Otherwise, you are eligible to receive whatever funds we can recover from the seller.

- Would the "funds PayPal collects" be that which they can recover from the seller?
- What does the "non-receipt" mean? Is it where there is no receipt given when you buy with a credit card?

Other than that, I still don't see why a seller can't just disappear so contact nor recoverability is possible. The only thing I can see that would probably avoid this is a popularly positive seller and continually positive in the recent past transactions.

This may look like I think online auctions are the devil, but I'm just trying to plug any leaks that I currently don't understand/know yet.

haha, maybe I should have ordered the bacpac with my notebook from newegg. But seriously, I'm not sure if it has enough large pockets to accomodate for my needs. I like to organize by seperating them out physically (instead of all-in-one-type where I'd constantly be flipping through books, notepads, loose papers, etc.)

Does Jansport still support lifetime guarantee on all backpacks, replacing it if wear-n-tear renders any of it's functions useless? If so, it might not be that bad if I bought one (the Airlift strap system is beginning to grow on me :rolleyes: ).

*updated personal requirements up top*

*Sept 15 update* - I decided to get a Targus Matrix (~$50) at Amazon.com b/c I also want to get a mouse for my laptop (save a little of shipping and the mouse is cheaper online). There was a Targus Groove that was half the price, but it didn't really have any extra features (pretty bare: 2 main pockets, 1 small, and 2 side pockets) so I thought $25 for a little more flexibility for whatever I may use it for in the future would be a better investment since it will stay with me for quite a number of years with a "limited lifetime warranty"...whatever that means.

Last edited:
Back