• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raptor Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GEN_Stone

Registered
Ok, this is something I have been wondering and finally decided to ask. Why are the raptors only 36.7 and 74 GB in size? Does this have something to do with them being 10,000 rpm instead of 7200 rpm? Is it solely a marketing decision or a technological setback of a 10,000 rpm drive? Thanks for the answers :)

Could be SCSI platters (which are what raptors use) go by those multiples....9.4 18.x 36.7 74 etc....just as IDE go 40gb 60 80 100 120 160 etc

Isn't that the true space too? Like the 74 would be called an 80 if it wasn't an enterprise drive and the 36 would be a 40? That's what I think it is too. I'm no expert though. As I saw on another thread: "that's my 2 cents worth".

the capacity on my 35.whatever GB raptor reads 37 in windows. 34 formatted or something. the reason the numbers are odd is because they spin so fast, the data has to be spaced out on the disk more so the heads can keep up.

saltytheseagull said:
Isn't that the true space too? Like the 74 would be called an 80 if it wasn't an enterprise drive and the 36 would be a 40? That's what I think it is too. I'm no expert though. As I saw on another thread: "that's my 2 cents worth".

dont think so, my supposed 36gb raptor is really 34.x when i see both partitions in windows xp. Or is it that crappy ntfs sux actualy more than a gb of space?

Back