• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to tell if the cmos battery is low...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RP Racing

Is there any indications of a cmos battery losing power? I tried to clear my cmos by moving the jumper and turning it back on until the cmos checksum error showed up and it wouldnt even start.

the only indictation that battery is loosing power would after you shut down and boot the bios would be cleared

RP Racing said:
Is there any indications of a cmos battery losing power? I tried to clear my cmos by moving the jumper and turning it back on until the cmos checksum error showed up and it wouldnt even start.
A computer will start with a dead cmos battery, the only problem will be that every time it loses power, all the settings in your bios will revert to default. You may get a cos cecksum error if you cleared you cmos, does it say to press some key to get into setup ad another to continue? If not, check the manual for your board (which board do you have anyway?).

edit: If speedfan doesn't work for you, check the battery voltage with a multimeter, if it is a lot lower than it is supposed to be (the battery may have the voltage written on it), try replacing it.

Its a FIC AN11 amd board. Currently still having problems with the multipler for some reason dropped down from 13x to 6.5x. When I run PC Wizard it lists Powernow as "active" and this isnt a laptop. My guess this is because the windows update d/l and installed an amd chip driver which was for a laptop cpu. Just what I've been thinking of.

Interesting topic

I have a Shuttle "Hot 567" that started life as a Pentium 200MMX. Last year Newegg FORCED me to dig it out of the scrap heap and buy a K6-2 500 CPU for about $16 to try to upgrade it. Yes they are STILL selling them here and they are down to $15. I opeded the knife edge case which leaves me with bloody stubs every single time and swapped processors, set the multiplier to 2x and the bus speed to 75mhz (runs @ 6x75), dredged up some extra RAM from the scrap heap, oops the TX chipset has a max of 256mb, and now have a screaming (not) AMD 450mhz Linux box.

After all this time it STILL has the original battery in it!! I wondered when it will die and thought it would likely do as others suggest loose settings. All confirmed now here!!

Oh here's the link so you can also rush out and by a shiny new K62-500.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-166&depa=1

Back