• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dynatron ranked incorrectly?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HardwareFreak

Registered
I'm looking thru the Socket A heat sink rankings and notice that a Dynatron copper heatsink is listed with a c/w of 0.40 in the rankings page, but when you read the test article, all the results in the table are in the c/w 0.2x range.

Actually, both of the Dynatrons are listed at c/w 0.40 in the rankings, these two:

Dynatron DY1206BH-L638: 0.40
Dynatron DC1206BM-L638: 0.40

And yet the test data for both of them shows their c/w's in the 0.2x range.

Why is this?

I see your point...Good observation..:D

Email Joe

CONCLUSIONS
The tested C/Ws place the Dynatron at the top rank of air cooled heatsinks. For aggressive cooling of Socket A CPUs, the Dynatron is very competitive, but the noise/performance tradeoff is one that each user must confront.

I expect to see more heatsinks delivering C/Ws below 0.25, but mostly with significant noise penalties. Expect to see attempts to use 80 mm (maybe 92mm?) fans as one means to reduce noise, although fan tip speeds will mitigate noise reductions.

SOURCE LINK

The little Dynatrons with copper bottom or all copper are very good coolers but they don't advertise much or at all and their coolers are inexpensive so maybe that has something to do with it . Any time I've seen a review or comparison including the Dynatron microfin in it , the results were very good .
Link below is the BH-610 cooler I use when I build a rig for someone , I sometimes put a 60mmX25mm 27cfm 34dba fan on the heatsink and it's a great all around cooler .

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-114-011&depa=0

pwnt by pat said:
Since 2001, testing methods have been updated. The initial tests were done on t-bird procssors.

You didn't read my post closely enough. The rankings page states 0.40 c/w, but in the review it states 0.23 c/w.

The tests the heatsink was origionally done with was using a tbird processor. The newer testing methods use a cpu die simulator that I believe is set to 100w. Using the tbird setup, a c/w of .23 isn't that bad, however that's only for that chip in that board with the thermal probe used. I'm sure as the cpu die simulator was finilized, all heatsinks were re-tested so that they are all ranked on fair grounds, not specific hardware.

The coolness of a heatsink isn't just the thermal resistance, it's also the coolness of the name. All heatsinks with dumb-sounding names ("Speeze" "Dynatron") automatically get downranked by 0.15 C/W.

the wesson

Back