• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AN35 N ultra issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wozza

Ok entire system spec is see if its caused by another odd piece of hardware.

win2000 sp4 + all other updates
thermaltake tsunami windowed case
an35n ultra obviously
2500+ @ 3200+ 1.6vcore 200 x 11
corsairs XMS3200XLPRO 2 2 2 5 timings
thermaltake silent purepower 480w PSU
radeon 9800pro sapphire card.
nec 2510 dual layer burner
generic 12x dvd drive
1 maxtor 30 7200rpm drive for OS and games
and 1 WD 40gb for my music and other stuff.
soundblaster live 5.1

everything works fine gaming etc. but i have an annoying little problem with this setup cpu and ram if i access the bios in anyway shape or form and change anything even changing the numlock to stay on when comp starts causes the system to not boot. im using the L bios.

the system automatically overclocked the CPU for me though if i run just the cpu and some generic 2100ddr memory same issue if i run just the corsair memory and a 1700+ same problem with bios

however running the 1700+ and the generic memory i can change settings without a problem. if i change them with the corsair or the 2500+ it reboots turns my monitor off then refuses to post. which means i have to reset the cmos which defaults it back to 1100mhz once i press f1 then let it boot into windows again it works albeit very slowly. i then reset it shows up as a 3200+ done this a few times now. but i know i can get some more out of this cpu.

anyone know what could cause it to not post with the combination of hardware? when its set it up without me doing anything the system is fast as hell games brilliantly etc. i noticed a few people said they had issues with the 9800 cards but not got a problem with mine 9800pro XT bios.

i've just spent best part of £800 on building this comp except the hard drives which were pulled from another comp same as sound card and dvd drive cause i ran out of funds to finish it. but even now i cant reinstall windows unless i remove my cpu and memory and install old ones. its a lot of messing about dismantling my cooling system to do that.

the other wierd error i have is my optical drives wont work unless there in PIO mode and when burning a DVD using PIO as you can imagine it takes a fair bit longer and causes even the mouse to get nice and glitchy as a result. rather annoying. i tried the newer nforce drivers they caused things to get worse. its getting to annoy me now i know the board is a promising bit of kit. but im about ready to go buy myself a DFI lanparty board. but id rather not have to spend yet another £85 on a new board right now.

anyhelp would be appreciated anymore info you need let me know.

Did you reformat your HDD when you built this rig or are you running from an older install?

What memory timings & VDimm are you running? Still 6-2-2-2?

Are you srtill running 1.6V VCore on the Barton?

Whats size is the PSU & what specs?

Do you have another AGP card you can try?

Regards, Balrog

Ran the system with a geforce4 mx 440 as well which was my old card.

memory timings are 2 2 2 5 @ ddr400 the vdimm should be 2.75 however i cant change any settings in the bios as i said and the mobo will only allow a 2.70 vdimm but. i cant change any settings and since its corsair it automatically sets it to the best timings it has plug and frag setup thing it has.

the PSU is a thermaltake purepower butterfly 480watt psu. voltages are great and stable mother board monitor disagrees but i just cant see it being right and saying the 5v and the 12v rails really are 0.06v somehow lol.

the hard drive was formatted with a fresh install of windows 2000 pro and then i added SP4 before anything else.

ah this is where you get to do the memory dance.I have had this problem with my board and my hyperx since day one.what you are going to have to do is this,use your 2100 to make your changes in bios but when you reboot shut your pc down and put your 3200 in.or with the 3200 in make changes,reboot/shut down,put in one sick of the 2100(leaveing the 3200 in),restart,remove 2100 at first chance.it's a real PITA I know but thats what you gotta do to make this board work with ram that defaults to 3200 2-2-2-x timings.

ive done that messed with it loads i can get it running but it is a total pain. im still thinking about just going down the DFI front although im not sure since my next plan is to get a couple WD raptors. i could buy a sata add on card but the only problem is everytime i wanna change a setting having to go get my old memory stick from my other comp. but i do have it working running the right timings etc its just bloody annoying i wanna see how much further i can push the cpu

what I did was use an overclocking program in windows to find a stable overclock,then set the Bios later when I found something I was happy with.

*edit*the only place that I can't make changes is in advanced chipset and only changes concerning the FSB.

i cant make any changes what so ever even changing the date after resetting the cmos causes it to not boot.

and any idea about why the drives would only show up in PIO mode? ran under dma mode the dvd write goes missing.

Last edited:
yeah it defaults to auto but windows seems to only work in PIO mode. however during boot up it says there in DMA mode. when i change it in windows it screws up. when using XP if i put a cd in it just locked up the computer.

[have u tried the latest nforce2 drivers? Use driver cleaner first to clear out the old drivers so there r no issues.It won't hurt to try.

Last edited:
as i said i change ANY settings in my bios it refuses to boot.

and when i fork out so much cash for memory modules that are capable of 2 2 2 5 i dont wanna be running them high unless i upped the frequency and had to loosen them due to that.

as it is the system is working fine 2.2ghz 2225 timings in dual channel 400mhz fsb i just cant change anything in bios nothing at all or it just sits there with a black screen and wont turn on.

and only way to get it back on then is to reset the cmos. the newest nvidia drivers wont do anything to alter the bios so there not gonna do any good.

Have U thought about flashing the bios once more? I believe I still have the G bios. Running without a problem.Maybe u got a bad flash?

Back