• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Results of 2x512mb Crucial PC3200 8T sticks on A64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shade00

I finally got some time to test out my gig of Crucial. Needless to say, they gave some very impressive results. I went searching for the highest stable speed first. I made it to 250mhz using 3-3-3-8 timings; it was stable in memtest86+ through the default test and test #5 four times. These sticks are incredible value for the money. The timings aren't fantastic, but for the price, you can't beat them. I think they're $86 per stick at Newegg right now.

I just wish I had a 10x multi so I could make better use of these sticks. Oh, I forgot to mention that these results are with only 2.75v.

I'm about to go searching for what I can do with lower timings. I'll post back whenever I have more results.

Attachments

• micron.JPG
    micron.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 514
Shade00 said:
I finally got some time to test out my gig of Crucial. Needless to say, they gave some very impressive results. I went searching for the highest stable speed first. I made it to 250mhz using 3-3-3-8 timings; it was stable in memtest86+ through the default test and test #5 four times. These sticks are incredible value for the money. The timings aren't fantastic, but for the price, you can't beat them. I think they're $86 per stick at Newegg right now.

I just wish I had a 10x multi so I could make better use of these sticks. Oh, I forgot to mention that these results are with only 2.75v.

I'm about to go searching for what I can do with lower timings. I'll post back whenever I have more results.

wow i must say that im quiet impressed. are you able to use 1t?

Jess1313 said:
wow i must say that im quiet impressed. are you able to use 1t?

Yes. I forgot to mention that that was at 1T.

The lower timings search is turning out to be fruitless. I definitely need more volts for this RAM. I'm thinking about buying the DFI board, but the performance increase would be so minor that I can't see doing that.

You can still use a CPU/10 memory divider with a 9x multiplier. Just set your multiplier to 8x and the memory speed to 166MHz. Your HTT will need to go a little higher, but with a 2x LDT, it shouldn't be a problem.

I know. I just have to figure out exactly how high the CPU can go and see if it would be better to go with extra CPU speed over RAM speed. I know I can do 2400mhz with 240mhz RAM, but I'll need to see if it's faster to run about 2.49 with a bit slower RAM.

Thanks for posting this Shade00. This is the kind of ram I'm looking for. I saw someone else with very similar results too. I ordered two sticks today and look forward to trying it out. :)

crucial.jpg

That's at 1T with 2.8V, with an A64 3200+ CG. I'm happy with it. Both sticks passed Memtest86 at 250 MHz. But only one stick passed Prime95 Blend test at that speed. The other one passed Prime at 245 MHz. I didn't try any higher with the 250 MHz stick yet. No use really, since I'm running them together.
I'd say this stuff is a great deal at $86. per stick.

Nice! Glad to see some consistency with these sticks. I think the first people who bought these and posted results were disappointed because they couldn't lower the latencies. However, if you want decent speed with ok latencies, this is what to buy.

I don't know if it can be beat for $86.

The way I look at latencies is like this: Cas makes almost zero difference with an A64, and Ras doesn't help much. Ras to Cas is what's important. But to get Ras to Cas 2 at 240 MHz+ without high vdimm you have to buy some EB 3700 (still no guarantee) or get lucky with Ballistix. The EB costs $150. more than this Crucial 8T and the Ballistix costs $100. more. I don't think spending the extra money makes any sense unless you are into benchmarks (edit: or if you just like to squeeze every last bit of performance out of your system, which is reasonable).

Last edited:
Back