• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SilenX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jackrungh

What is your opinion of SilenX? They are barely represented in the community, yet have the best CFM to dBa returns of any fan in existance.

Are SilenX fans overpriced overkill for frenzied quiet-freaks? :eh?:

Check em' out :cool:

... they are a manufacturer of fans.... go to the fans section and check size/dBa/CFM ratios for on topic discussion

im looking at getting a couple of 120mm silenx fans myself, your right they dont get much coverage but every single person who has them swears by them, supposed to push some serious air whilst still being whisper quiet.

the fans are dead quiet i have 2 120mm and 4 80mm silenx fans in my system and i cant hear a thing......they dont push great amounts of air but they are dead quiet...........58CFM for the 120mm fans and iink 38CFM for the 80mm fans not great but at 14dba each fan they do the job nicely

I thought their 80mm maxed out at 28db, and thats what their spec sheet says, unless Im missing something.

from what I see at their site is : the 80x80x25 fan is 14 Dba at 28 cfm, not 38 cfm. I am not sure if 28cfm would be enough, but 14 dba would be nice.

I have the 120mm and 92mm SilenX. What is nice about SilenX is they run well at 5volts (start up, thermistor). Take the thermistor off, and you have a noisy fan, with more bearing noise than the 120mm Panaflow low speed fan, or the 120mm Aluminum Evercool fan.
I have had case heat increases since I put in my 6800gt, under load, so I am now thinking of putting in my 120mm Aluminum Evercool fan at 7v. Not much difference in noise, just a little more noise from the extra air being moved.

Got a few 80mm SilenX fans - they are quiet with decent airflow. The 14dBa does not really apply on the thermistor ones once temps have risen. That said, they're still quiet and my experience is that there is next to no bearing noise or any high pitched harmonics, it's all airflow whoosh. Haven't tried the 90 or 120 so I can't comment on those but I am impressed with the 80s - they're well designed and well made.

From a frenzied quiet-freak:

I have examples of the 80, 92, and 120 mm 14 dba fans in my case.
they do have the best cfm/dba ratio anywhere ... I spent a few months looking, as I cannot stand that fan-whining noise.

Their power supplies are rather overpriced, Sparkle Power is fine (but maybe I got a good one, so ask around, if that's your problem).

The loudest things in my case are the Western Digital HD, and the Iceberq 4 on my vid card.
And I can sleep at night.

BTW: the 11 dba fans just don't seem to push enough air, IMO.

Yeah, I agree, a 3dBa enhancement is just not a sensible sacrifice for the amount of flow lost.

I just ordered one for my cpu. might swap out other fans if i don't take a big temperature hit. my machine is probably 40db, and i'd like to start doing some audio productions with it, so i need to tone it down. good thread for silenx. rated 5 stars!

I have a SilenX 400w iXtrema Pro, 400w Luxurae, Zalman 7700Cu with SilenX 14dBA fan, and 2 120mm 11dBA SilenX fans, and all of them are flawless products. The build quality of the power supplies is excellent, and they're very stable. The fan on the CPU cooler isn't near silent at full speed, but at 7v it's very quiet and at that voltage the cooler is still very effective. The two 120mm fans are very quiet, although not completely silent. SilenX makes some great products.

yeah I ordered a 120 for my cpu cooler, but i just checked back and they have LED models! awesome! I think if this works out, I will go with a couple 80mm and get that nice pretty 120mm for the cpu. :D

I believe they're just relabled Adda fans, so if you can figure out which Adda fan is the one you want, you can probably get them for less than what SilenX is charging.

it's my opinion that no fan maker has the secret to a big improvement in dB/CFM.

Hence, I believe that SilenX makes good fans, perhaps, but where their numbers are concerned they're "making stuff up."

I seem to recall somebody measuring the actual stats of SilenX fans reached the same conclusion. No URL, sorry.

Look at it this way: Once you've almost eliminated motor noise (which the good fan makers can all do), then you're still left with air noise, and moving air with a propellor is going to make noise which is very hard to eliminate.

the wesson

Argh. They didn't have the LED versions a couple months back when I wanted something like that. Oh well, nice to know for next time.

Back