• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Could it be true? Finally 100% rock solid?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lancelot

I already had given up hope, and have been running at a mild 896Mhz for awhile, but now my system is running flawlessly at 1056Mhz for a week! (a few days have been extremely hot outhere with ambient temps around 30C) She runs folding during the evenings and nights, and is used for surfing, sometimes watching a DVD and burning CD's. My kid son has been playing 3D games a few afternoons without a single lockup. I've been at this speed before but she would always crash every other day or so. The last change I made was removing my PCI NIC in favour of an ISA NIC to solve IRQ sharing with the extra onboard highpoint ATA controller. It really is looking good, so I hopefully ordered a CL2 PC133 stick. She's at 132.44FSB @ 1.85Vc right now which puts PCI and IDE nicely upto spec at 33.11Mhz.

So you think its stable eh?
If you are sure you think you have it...

http://www.vtoy.fi/jv16/programs/StabilityTest.exe

get this program and let it run for 12 hours. If you pass the test. Congradulation your stable.
I've had computers that i though were stable only to fail a test like this. I highly recomend it to test overclocked computers...

1 word of warning... it will heat your CPU up hotter than seti or prime. So you better have good cooling
(keep an eye on it for the first few min to make sure your CPU is not overheating.)

congrats man!!
maybe it was your overclocked PCI-Bus limiting you...make some stability checks, you can use 3dmark, which is very sensitive...or run F@H, or Prime95..or Sandra Burn-in test...try it out...

About two months ago she was doing 1080Mhz (8x135) and I ran CPU stability test overnight, and left it running during the day, say about 16 to 17 hours in total without a problem. When I got home from work I closed stability test, answered some emails, and when I opened up AIM she froze up on me.....go figure. 3Dmark loops for hours. AGP is 1x (as per suggested by Abit around 133FSB) with 64MB aperture.

Lancelot said:
I already had given up hope, and have been running at a mild 896Mhz for awhile, but now my system is running flawlessly at 1056Mhz for a week! (a few days have been extremely hot outhere with ambient temps around 30C) She runs folding during the evenings and nights, and is used for surfing, sometimes watching a DVD and burning CD's. My kid son has been playing 3D games a few afternoons without a single lockup. I've been at this speed before but she would always crash every other day or so. The last change I made was removing my PCI NIC in favour of an ISA NIC to solve IRQ sharing with the extra onboard highpoint ATA controller. It really is looking good, so I hopefully ordered a CL2 PC133 stick. She's at 132.44FSB @ 1.85Vc right now which puts PCI and IDE nicely upto spec at 33.11Mhz.

Do you think it could have been the NIC holding you back?, I know they are very very picky and I've heard ISA"s are more forgiving.

-Trek

Back