• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Info regarding high temperatures, causes/solutions, and reading from the CPU diode

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Leviathan41 said:
Lots of excellent information here (and crazy stories about incredibly high temps, lol). I deleted my last post a while back to give more flow to this thread, and just wanted to say nice work on this. :thup:

Thank you! I have more and more info on the way :D

All Northwoods Have on die AFAIK. The ONLY MOBO for socket 478 That I know FOR SURE reads on die is ABIT. For Socket A, the only board I know for sure that reads on die is the Asus A7N8X Series.

nikhsub1 said:
All Northwoods Have on die AFAIK. The ONLY MOBO for socket 478 That I know FOR SURE reads on die is ABIT. For Socket A, the only board I know for sure that reads on die is the Asus A7N8X Series.

Thank you very much nikhsub!

Err, I also know for a fact the Abit NF7's do NOT read on die... same with the Epox NF2 boards. The Epox 8K3A does however.

My max temps are now @ 58c load... with a better hsk I will go lower, but I'm not worry about these temps, nfs-7 read the wrong temps I think...

Ok, now if that is your socket temp I would maybe try to get those down a bit...but it really is not the end of the world. If you have an NF7 it probably is the socket temp as it is confirmed they cannot read via the diode. grr...gotta go.

Ya A7N8X series give case, diode, and socket temps. I had one and it gave something like 35c socket, 48c diode, so that goes the show the difference. As for the NF7-S the probe is right under the cpu in the socket, so I think it's a little higher than usual socket readings. But i'm pretty sure the BIOS keeps track of the diode temps even though you can't read it, so if you just set the warning and shutdown temps in BIOS, then you shouldnt worry. That's why those temps are so high, because theyre actual diode temps that the BIOS reads, but doesnt show.

ap673 said:
Ya A7N8X series give case, diode, and socket temps. I had one and it gave something like 35c socket, 48c diode, so that goes the show the difference. As for the NF7-S the probe is right under the cpu in the socket, so I think it's a little higher than usual socket readings. But i'm pretty sure the BIOS keeps track of the diode temps even though you can't read it, so if you just set the warning and shutdown temps in BIOS, then you shouldnt worry. That's why those temps are so high, because theyre actual diode temps that the BIOS reads, but doesnt show.

Oh cool! Thanks for making that more clear. Although, I will still keep that motherboard in the category it is in because if you can't read it, it does not do too much good in the owner knowing what their CPU diode temperature is.

The Asus A7V8X-X appears to read from the diode, because I always see a higher processor temperature reading when in the BIOS setup. MBM 5 always gave me a -10 F degree reading for the processor. The BIOS one also seems to update faster than MBM. Does that look like a diode reading?

If it is higher, then yes, it does look like a diode reading.

You should be able to view it in MBM as "LM90"

Although, I reformated my hard drive and when I re-installed MBM all I got was Winbond1 and 2. I had this trouble before and it does not work very well.

I guess I should download the newest version and re-install it. When I did that last time I got a whole host of stuff, like the names of each of the diodes. LM90 is the CPU diode BTW. Plus, I even got a reading for my hard drive! I did not know my crappy hard drive had one, but I guess it does :)

Outstanding job @mdOCer. But it brings up a question that has been bother me. Last Satuday night me and a buddy of mine built a CS server, started it, tested it, 30C idle 42C load( 2.8B, not OC'd with AS 5). Everything was perfect. Next morning my buddy calls me up, he says " WE have a problem, the server cpu is running 42 idle, 62 under load" I informed him to reseat the stock heatsink ( didn't help) so I told him to keep trying. Ater he tried 7 times he calls me back up " no good". "Get another heatsink" I said. To make a long story short,he bought and installed a thermaltake HS+fan, it still didn't help.
Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.
Oh, yeah, he has used Asus Probe, MBM5, and the bios to verify the temps and they all read the same. The motherboard in question is a p4pe-x.

Last edited:
Well, there is always the possibility you are reading from the CPU core the next day vs. the socket the previouse one, but I have heard of this happening too many times for that to be likely.

To be honest, this one is quite confusing, it never happened to me before. Is the fan running the same speed? Did maybe the first day did you have the case open and the case closed the second day?

Also, my computer throws off so much heat that usually the corner it is in heats up sevral degrees more than the rest of the house. Could that be it?

Maybe the computer was laying on its side the first day and that made the heatsink contact well and the second day it was upright?

Also, is this the CPU socket temperature or the core temp?

It is the cpu temp. When we were done Sat. night we set it on the computer table next to his personal computer ( Temp never changed on it) then stressed it upright with the good results above. I am stomped too :bang head . He lives about 30 - 40 miles away so this weekend I will take another look at it. The fan speed never changed and the case was closed on both days.

galador said:
It is the cpu temp. When we were done Sat. night we set it on the computer table next to his personal computer ( Temp never changed on it) then stressed it upright with the good results above. I am stomped too :bang head . He lives about 30 - 40 miles away so this weekend I will take another look at it. The fan speed never changed and the case was closed on both days.

When you say CPU temp I am assuming you mean the cpu core temp. Also maybe it ingested something? Cat hair? Any sort of pet hair? Check the heatsink to see if it is clean. Ususally this happens over time not in a matter of a few days. To be honest I cannot really think of what could be causing this. This is quite a mystery. Case fans working okay?

He ( buddy) informed me that all 4 case fans were running 2600 rpm and the cpu fan is running 2500 rpm. Could the cpu temp diode have gone bad? It is a new case so the filter is clean. He wanted me to ask if a cpu can all of a sudden create more heat. I informed him that it is very unlikely. Actually, I have never heard of that before.

Well, I have never heard of that before either. If the heatsink has been reseated, fans and everything are operating the same, I really do not have an answer for you. Are you sure the previouse temperature was not taken idle? Maybe it was the socket and the newer higher temperature is the core?

He moved the cpu and HS to another Mb and the temp now says 30C idle 46 load. Problem solved :D .

Back