• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

colored checkerboard like screen on monitor.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JCDenton

Disabled
Hello, I have a Geforce 6800 GT OCed to Ultra, 1GB PC3200 GEIL ValueRAM, an Athlon 64 3200+ clawhammer with 1 meg cache OCed to 3400+, an Epox 8K3DAJ mobo, and a Samsung 172x 12 ms monitor.

My computer randomly shows a colored checkerboard every once in a while and then the display completely disappears and when I turn my computer back on, there is no display for a little while.

All temperatures seem to be fine, except the cpu is a little above normal. It did the same thing when the CPU was not OCed as well. My school recently forced us to give them our computers so they can configure them for the network. They had my computer case open supposedly because the fan fell out, they were playing games on my computer for days and I caught them red handed. They also managed to install the wrong drivers and had to reformat my hard drive so I lost everything. Then they upgraded my XP from Home to Pro and installed gay Symantec Client network security software. That is all that was changed. This seems to be a hardware problem to me though. I remember something like this happening with my Voodoo 5 or Hard drive or something.

All wires and cables are secured tightly. The BIOS seems to be in order. Any idea what could be wrong and how to fix it? I already did a Windows Update, drivers, etc.

Underclock you video card, it seems that it may be overheating.

yeah but it won't hurt to try, and if that isn't the case you can rule that out.

Now it just has rainbow checkerboard all across the screen. My computer is significantly slower too. The windows that I close take a minute to go away. Every time I enter a game it crashes in a Rainbow rage. It also freezes at random points and then goes on again in games.

HELP.

I had the same issue with my 6800GT. Fear not the card is perfectally fine....however your AGP slot is not :(

Keep re-seating it, it should work just fine. I know exactally the issue you are describing. The card isnt OCed too far, its because the AGP isnt making proper contact and causing a short.

Hell mine did that for almost 2 hrs in the BIOS. I thought for sure the card was dead, especially when another vcard I had didnt do that. I kept reinstalling it, only to find the card is perfectally fine and no artifracts thank god.

I know for a fact its my AGP slot now, cuz it often doesnt detect the vcard properly and I had the same issue with another GT and thought it was defective... the PC store tested it and it was fine.

So like I said, its fine man, your mobo is just acting screwy. Reseat it and try again.

JCDenton said:
I remounted it and it's still getting gay with kids.
Keep messing with it. It took me several hours of trouble shooting. If not I'd file a complain with those ****ers that took your PC, because you will have to RMA the card.

You just remounted it til it worked? Btw, this is Antonio Banderas aka SCARFACE98989. At school so I can't log any messaging programs, all blocked.

You reccomended zee card to me so if it's zee card's fault, I'm going to ***** slap you.

JCDenton said:
You just remounted it til it worked? Btw, this is Antonio Banderas aka SCARFACE98989. At school so I can't log any messaging programs, all blocked.

You reccomended zee card to me so if it's zee card's fault, I'm going to ***** slap you.

Possible it's power fluctuating. How healthy is your power supply? Maybe start something that logs the various voltage rails. At least when it comes back up you could review the logs right up until it crashed and see if there was a spike or drop in voltage that resulted in it becoming unstable.

Try wiggling the monitor cable at the connection to your video card while watching the screen. If you see any change in response to your movements then it's the video cable connection on the card. You'll have to RMA it if you can. My friend had a similar problem and we got it fixed.

JCDenton said:
My 530 watt sparkle PSU seems fine.

Seems fine and IS fine are two different things. Have you tried using speedfan to check the various rails for stability? It has a nice realtime graphing options that will breakout the different voltages over time.

Jeff

Back