• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GPU H20 cooling worth it??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

ATM i am using a 5950u (bios flashed). I recently installed a H20 kit on my computer. Would adding a GPU block help me get a higher core clock speed? It helped tremendesly on my CPU so i would assume it would help on my GPU just as well.

Right now i can get about a 530 core max on my card. I know each card is differant and stuff but would H20 get me around a 560-580? Or possibly more?

I only am using a 3/8inch OD cooling kit, but it brought my pressy down 15c idle/load.

Lastly what would a good 3/8 GPU block be?

I'd change to 3/8ID 1/2OD tubing (as discussed before) otherwise I think the gpu heat will push your temps up. That would allow you to use the swiftech mcw50 with no adapters. It's a good block.

Yeah i think i am going to order some 1/2 OD tubing tonight. Thanks again gungeek :) Your a lifesaver lol

Check hardware and home improvement stores like Lowes and Home Depot. I'll bet you could get everything you need there; barbs, T, copper tubing pieces, hose clamps, vinyl tubing, etc. The only question would be the quality of the vinyl tubing.

The tubing in the kit came from Lowes and it's as good as the $1 a foot tubing some swiftech dealers sell. I bought some 1/2ID 5/8OD tubing at the same store about a year ago and it was junk. It wants to collapse very easy when bent. You can tell the difference.

yes, gpu cooling almost always allows for a better core and memory overclock, even without modifications. results may vary though

I just put a maze 4 on my x800xt the other day and gave me a huge boost on my core clock..... put OCZ copper gpu ramsinks on the ram and gave me a little more on my ram. Was definatly worth it for me. :)

I put an MCW50 on a 6800 GT and my temps dropped ~40 degrees under load. My overclock did NOT improve though. To add insult to injury, the block also leaked and almost killed my Audigy 2.

I think the 6800 series is just designed to run hot, hence the "crappy" stock cooler.

YMMV on a 5950.

aldamon said:
I put an MCW50 on a 6800 GT and my temps dropped ~40 degrees under load. My overclock did NOT improve though. To add insult to injury, the block also leaked and almost killed my Audigy 2.
Where was the leak and what caused it? what was the fix? I've never heard of one leaking that was properly installed.

I watercooled an older 9700 pro and it did not overclock any better than with the stock heatsink (about 365-370 max core; 325 stock speed), but it did cool the whole card much better. I've got a different 9700 pro that'll soon be watercooled and I think it will do better than air cooling. It will get rid of a noisy fan and some heat no matter what else happens so I consider it worthwhile.

Yeah i want to install the GPU cooler for helping OC it, and also to get rid of that damn 80mm loud fan i have on it hehe. Think i am gonna make a trip to home depot today and get some of my new H20 supplies :)

gungeek said:
Where was the leak and what caused it? what was the fix? I've never heard of one leaking that was properly installed.

At the 1/2" barb/quick connector joint. I'm still working with it. I think the sideways torque in my setup is causing the problem.

Regardless, the block didn't help the overclock before it leaked. If my water block did nothing, it makes you wonder why people are bothering with VGA Silencers. LOL.

I have a 6800 Ultra on the way. We'll see if water helps the Ultra core. I doubt it will unless I voltmod beyond 1.5V.

aldamon said:
At the 1/2" barb/quick connector joint. I'm still working with it. I think the sideways torque in my setup is causing the problem.

Regardless, the block didn't help the overclock before it leaked. If my water block did nothing, it makes you wonder why people are bothering with VGA Silencers. LOL.

I have a 6800 Ultra on the way. We'll see if water helps the Ultra core. I doubt it will unless I voltmod beyond 1.5V.

Did you have it pushed in all of the way? Most of the smooth part of the tube fits into the quick-connect and it does take some pressure. That last part is pushing it through an o-ring to seal the connection. I'd estimate no more than 1/4 inch of the smooth part should be showing outside the quick-connect.

Yeah, they were in. I'm not too thrilled about the plastic on plastic. I haven't given up though. My Audigy 2 may have gotten wet but it's still alive :)

aldamon said:
If my water block did nothing, it makes you wonder why people are bothering with VGA Silencers. LOL.

I would imagine that it's because stock coolers are rather noisy, and the VGA cooler has the additional benefit of exhausting the heat out the back instead of dumping it into the case, lowering overall temperatures.

Back