• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explanations of DFI NF3-250GB Bios settings/Ramtimings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Jess1313 said:
lol........

well, alot of thoughs setting wont work, with all rams:(. Those were accived with my BH-6, and i havent much other ram to test with:(...

give me alittle will to think on it ATM, Samuria Jack and i are auto to post a new bios, so give a min or so :beer:

GL
-Jess-

EDIT: if you could please post ALL you bios setting/ram timings:->
Here's my setting

AGP 128MB 8X
Fast Write/Sideband address : Auto
Throttling/Special I/O : disabled
System BIOS Cacheable : Disable

DRAM 1:1
CPC : Enable
Tcl 2.5 Trcd 03 Tras 05 Trp 03
Trc/Trfc/Trrd/Twr/Twtr/Trwt/Tref : Auto
Twcl 01

DQS Control : Auto
DQS Value : 0
DRAM Drive Strength :Auto
Max Async Latency: Auto
Read Preamble Time: Auto
IdleCycle Limit/ Dynamic Counter/ RW Q Bypass/ Bypass Max/ 32M Granularity : Auto

FSB:250
AGP:66
LDT Up/Down Width : Auto
LDT/FSB: X 4.0
cpu/fsb x 10
K8 C'Q : Disable

CPU VID 1.45 x 123%
Chipset V1.7
AGP 1.6v
Dram 2.80v

SATA 12 / 34 : Enable
AC97: Auto
1394: Enable
MAC LAN(Auto)
MAC Media: RGMII
MAC(NV): Disable

This below is my set which different from default
Init Display First : Onboard/AGP
USB KB/Storeage support: Enable
USBMOUSE support: Enable

Jess1313 said:
**Row Precharge timing(tRP)**=[/U] 0,1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. I would suggest using only 2-5.
Hi Jess, first off just an excellent manual here, great job! But I'd like to suggest at least from my experience that for the Athlon 64, the tRP start off from 3-5, as a setting of 2 is too low and causes a great many errors in Test#5 in Memtest86+ v1.26 and this was with XMS3200XL Pro (2-2-2-5-1T), Kingston HyperX 3200UL (2-2-2-5-1T) and my current 1G OCZ Gold Rev.3 3700EL (2.5-3-2-8-1T)@ default settings for all mentioned memory. Once the tRP was set back to "3", all errors disappeared! Anxious for your thoughts here,

Cheers,

Gov

Last edited:
Governator said:
Hi Jess, first off just an excellent manual here, great job! But I'd like to suggest at least from my experience that for the Athlon 64, the tRP start off from 3-5, as a setting of 2 is too low and causes a great many errors in Test#5 in Memtest86+ v1.26 and this was with XMS3200XL Pro (2-2-2-5-1T), Kingston HyperX 3200UL (2-2-2-5-1T) and my current 1G OCZ Gold Rev.3 3700EL (2.5-3-2-8-1T)@ default settings for all mentioned memory. Once the tRP was set back to "3", all errors disappeared! Anxious for your thoughts here,

Cheers,

Gov

yes, this is the case with most rams, but.....

if you have BH5/6, then a 2 is fine, i have spend alot of time on tweaking lately, and have manages 265mhz stable, at 2-2-2.

GL
-Jess-

Hey Jess, I think you have a typo...

Under Refresh Period (tREF), the 200mhz, (3.9us) option reads 3672. I'm pretty sure it should read 3072.

Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

Odie :)

Odie812 said:
Hey Jess, I think you have a typo...

Under Refresh Period (tREF), the 200mhz, (3.9us) option reads 3672. I'm pretty sure it should read 3072.

Just wanted to bring this to your attention.

ah yes, you are correct,lol, i went into bios, and wrote then all down on a sheet of paper, and my 0 looks like a 6, thanks for catching than man:)

-Jess-

Governator said:

Cheers,

Gov

Hi, I have just ordered this mother board and a A64 3000+. I currently have the 3200XL RAM. I just wondered how high you managed to overclock this RAM on this mb? And can they not be run at 2-2-2-5 at the default 200MHz FSB either?

Thanks.

turrican9 said:
Hi, I have just ordered this mother board and a A64 3000+. I currently have the 3200XL RAM. I just wondered how high you managed to overclock this RAM on this mb? And can they not be run at 2-2-2-5 at the default 200MHz FSB either?

Thanks.

you should be fine running 2-2-2-X up to 220-225ish, past that, you will have to loosen things up a bit.

GL
-Jess-

Jess1313 said:
you should be fine running 2-2-2-X up to 220-225ish, past that, you will have to loosen things up a bit.

GL
-Jess-

Thanks. But how high do you think I can take my 2 X 512MB 3200XL modules? Have seen that samsung TCCD chips overclocks great on this motherboard. Which is the chips my ram has. Seen any results from these Corsair chips on this fantastic motherboard? Have read that article at Anandtech about this motherboard. They also used RAM based on the Samsung TCCD. But do you think the Corsair implementation of these chips are just as good as others?

Can't wait to get my hands on this motherboard. Have struggled enough with the AN7 which doesn't like these RAM sticks. AN7 likes RAM like, BH5, BH6 and CH5. At least when using doublesided 512 sticks.

turrican9 said:
Thanks. But how high do you think I can take my 2 X 512MB 3200XL modules?....

im not totally sure, usually TCCD's should do a mininum of 250mhz, thats what samsung rates them at, past that, is hard to say. i would say that 255-280(probobly closer to 255, because it seems that maybe the Corsair doesnt do as good as the other TCCD's..) woudl be a good estament...

GL
-Jess-

Jess1313 said:
im not totally sure, usually TCCD's should do a mininum of 250mhz, thats what samsung rates them at, past that, is hard to say. i would say that 255-280(probobly closer to 255, because it seems that maybe the Corsair doesnt do as good as the other TCCD's..) woudl be a good estament...

GL
-Jess-[/QUOTE

Yeah, One should also think that since I will be using both sticks I will probably not go too far beyond 250. But Hey, that would more than satisfy me.

Thanks

By The Way, Jess1313, I love your RAM-Timing guide. Thanks for sharing this with us. It really means alot. When I get that motherboard next week I will probably benefit very much from this Guide.

Thanks ;)

I just want to comment on decptt's LDT/FSB: If that is at 4x, and your FSB is at 250, this would make your FSB overall at 2000. That is rather high considering the default value is 1600. Maybe change your LDT/FSB to 3x, making it 1500 instead?

Well...

... I wanted to share my results with everyone, and some of my observations.

This Tweaker pic displays my results at my current 260HTT on LDT 4X. It took some hardcore tweaking and fiddling but I eventually got my 3700+ at 2600mhz.

Regarding DRAM Drive Strength... is a higher value better? My TCCD is able to post at each level, and memtests fine at each level. I'm at level 4 right now, and am wondering if higher is better or what. It seems to be a bit elusive as I am not noticing any significant performance changes regardless.

My Async Latency and Read Preamble wouldn't budge no matter what. But I was able to knock the tREF up to 4708 without a problem, and it seems to help.

Also, when I enabled 32-bit Granularity, I noticed a significant slowdown in the response of my system. Everything is much faster for me when it is disabled (8 bursts).

Skew is another one I don't understand. Based on someone's settings for DDR600, I have it set in the middle to 128 (increased) for now until I can figure it out. Like Jess said, it's a very inconsequential setting and doesn't really affect anything one way or another.

However, Jess, regarding Write Cas Latency, my system seems to like 5 or above. I had to reset CMOS when 1-4 were selected. So, that's weird considering your liked "1 clock" only. I have it set to auto now because it didn't affect anything, and I don't want to mess with it, so I left it.

One other thing I should mention is that I've used at least two of these Lanparty UT boards so far, and one of them loved to have memory in slots 1 and 2, and the other in slots 1 and 3. So, this is old news, but definitely try both to see which yields better results.

Anyway, hope this helps. By the way, my Sandra scores plop in at just over 4150mb/s :attn:

I am a happy guy. Thanks, DFI...

Attachments

• mem2.jpg
    mem2.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 2,256
Last edited:
Odie812 said:
... I wanted to share my results with everyone, and some of my observations.

This Tweaker pic displays my results at my current 260HTT on LDT 4X. It took some hardcore tweaking and fiddling but I eventually got my 3700+ at 2600mhz.

Regarding DRAM Drive Strength... is a higher value better? My TCCD is able to post at each level, and memtests fine at each level. I'm at level 4 right now, and am wondering if higher is better or what. It seems to be a bit elusive as I am not noticing any significant performance changes regardless.

My Async Latency and Read Preamble wouldn't budge no matter what. But I was able to knock the tREF up to 4708 without a problem, and it seems to help.

Also, when I enabled 32-bit Granularity, I noticed a significant slowdown in the response of my system. Everything is much faster for me when it is disabled (8 bursts).

Skew is another one I don't understand. Based on someone's settings for DDR600, I have it set in the middle to 128 (increased) for now until I can figure it out. Like Jess said, it's a very inconsequential setting and doesn't really affect anything one way or another.

However, Jess, regarding Write Cas Latency, my system seems to like 5 or above. I had to reset CMOS when 1-4 were selected. So, that's weird considering your liked "1 clock" only. I have it set to auto now because it didn't affect anything, and I don't want to mess with it, so I left it.

One other thing I should mention is that I've used at least two of these Lanparty UT boards so far, and one of them loved to have memory in slots 1 and 2, and the other in slots 1 and 3. So, this is old news, but definitely try both to see which yields better results.

Anyway, hope this helps. By the way, my Sandra scores plop in at just over 4150mb/s :attn:

I am a happy guy. Thanks, DFI...

Nice post odie!

ill look over this in detail, and add some of this to the first few posts

i have seen a few using higher Dram Drive strenght with TCCD's, humm, i guess were not totally sure, but we think that higher is faster, and lower is more stable, bu because i have bh-6, im unable to test above lvl1, anthing besides that, it totally craps out.

Yeah, I actually just logged back on to ask a similar question as odie did above. Great guide by the way Jess, I have it printed out and am following it at home. One thing, however, is that I (being new to OC'ing) do not necessarily know whether higher or lower settings for any particular type of setting makes performance increase or decrease. I know it may be a lot to ask, but could you possibly edit your first post and add information such as " higher settings is faster, or higher settings provide increased stability, etc." for each setting category? I'm sure this is probably just a newbie question, but that information sure would help me, and I'm sure apparently others as well (Odie812 wasn't sure about DRAM drive strength for instance....whether higher or lower settings were better).

I know you gave great recommendations for settings, but sometimes you give a recommended range, and I often don't know whether to start at the higher value and work my way down or vice versa.

Thanks for all your help; I have learned a lot from you in many threads....you are a great helpful member of this forum! :D

Bridgeboy said:
Yeah, I actually just logged back on to ask a similar question as odie did above. Great guide by the way Jess, I have it printed out and am following it at home. One thing, however, is that I (being new to OC'ing) do not necessarily know whether higher or lower settings for any particular type of setting makes performance increase or decrease. I know it may be a lot to ask, but could you possibly edit your first post and add information such as " higher settings is faster, or higher settings provide increased stability, etc." for each setting category? I'm sure this is probably just a newbie question, but that information sure would help me, and I'm sure apparently others as well (Odie812 wasn't sure about DRAM drive strength for instance....whether higher or lower settings were better).

I know you gave great recommendations for settings, but sometimes you give a recommended range, and I often don't know whether to start at the higher value and work my way down or vice versa.

Thanks for all your help; I have learned a lot from you in many threads....you are a great helpful member of this forum! :D

thanks much bridgeboy, btw Samurai Jack help me right this thread, i need to edit that into the the first post as well.

i really dont know why i didnt think of that b4, i will most definatly edit meh first post and add which setting are faster(oc less) and which ones are more stable:D

-Jess-

This has to be the most helpful DFI UT thread I've read!

I was a little overwhelmed when I saw the shear quantity of settings in BIOS but this thread really helped me get my head around it all! :clap:

To top it off the settings for BH6 are perfect, I copied them to the letter I got a bit lucky:- 250 fsb with 1t and dual sided RAM @ 3.4v

My only real question is what to do next really I'm very happy with 250 x 10 but if there is more under the hood I certainly want to try and find it, is it worth dropping to 2t and seeing if these sticks will go any higher?

DHermS said:
This has to be the most helpful DFI UT thread I've read!

I was a little overwhelmed when I saw the shear quantity of settings in BIOS but this thread really helped me get my head around it all! :clap:

To top it off the settings for BH6 are perfect, I copied them to the letter I got a bit lucky:- 250 fsb with 1t and dual sided RAM @ 3.4v

My only real question is what to do next really I'm very happy with 250 x 10 but if there is more under the hood I certainly want to try and find it, is it worth dropping to 2t and seeing if these sticks will go any higher?

personally, i dont think droping to 2t would be worth it, because i dont think it will alow for more Bus increase, to make up for the lost bandwith.

you coudl try moving the tREF, tRRD, tRAS, tRC, tRFC, tWTR, tRTW around, i feel this might help, maybe trying 00, 5, 6 or 10 on the tRAS, 00, or 02 on the tRRD, 9 or 10 on the tRC, 2 on the tWTR, and 2 or 4 on the tRTW.

just experient man.

GL
-Jess-

BTW, im in the process of updating everything...lol, im try my best to add alot of info, to each setting, as you will see the first 5-10 setting have had alot added lately, chech back for updates:beer:

EDIT: i almost forgot

Welcome to the Forums

Back