• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Explanations of DFI NF3-250GB Bios settings/Ramtimings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
disco_bazoon said:
What are you guys with EB running at?
It was alot of work, but oh, so fun :D

I haven't even gotten a chance to OC mine yet. A bunch of things have come up (Life) and I will be moving to a new location within the next few weeks; my set up is still just sitting on the bench. I would be interested in seeing any results you get with the 3700EB, however, for when I finally get settled down and am able to play around with mine....which looks like I won't realistically have the time to do until after Christmas from the looks of it.... :-/

EDIT: Oh wait, I just looked at your sig again, you have 3500EB Platinum? Hmmm....I guess I'm just used to people referring to the 3700EB when I see "EB" at all concerning this board. My mistake.....I didn't even know a 3500EB Platinum existed.........when did OCZ come out with that?

Last edited:
At the same time as the 3200 and 3700EB :p
It's known to overclock about the same as the 3700, as far as I've seen. It's always a luck of the draw anyway. I know I love my EB for sure :santa:

disco_bazoon said:
At the same time as the 3200 and 3700EB :p
It's known to overclock about the same as the 3700, as far as I've seen. It's always a luck of the draw anyway. I know I love my EB for sure :santa:

Hmmm, that's weird that I never ran across it in my searching for the best alternative for 3700EB before I got lucky and snagged myself some. I had waited too long before buying the 3700EB...searching for better prices, etc. and almost lost my chance to get any at all when they discontinued it. I then did some extensive searching for the best alternative, and based on several reviews, and many recommendations from both OCZ themselves, and members of several forums, I was then considering the PC3200 EL Plat. Rev. 2 and the PC3700 Gold Rev. 3. I don't know how I never heard of the PC3500 EB Plat. Maybe because it was discontinued and all sold out as well? Anyway, I then got lucky and was able to get my 3700EB used......only a month old and in perfect condition.....

It will be interesting how they compare once I get the time to OC mine. :santa2:

disco_bazoon said:
Sounds good man. Hey, what HTT multi are you using for that 255HTT? Again, I think 2.5x sounds low for my 260HTT... I dunno. I will work on it tonight and see if I can make any progress :santa:

im using 3x at 255, at 270 i have to move to 2.5x....:-/

-Jess-

disco_bazoon said:
Okay, did ALOT of playing today, and I think I'm happy with the results. I am now running my two sticks of 512MB EB at:
3-2-2-10 1T 3.2v at 250HTT for now. I will continue to rise the HTT when I've finished tweaking the mem settings. Anyway, here are my settings:
Row cycle time (tRC) @ 7
Row refresh cycle time (tRFC) @ 10
Row to row delay (tRRD) @ 0
Write recovery time (tWR) @ 2
Write to read delay (tWTR) @ 1
Read to write delay (tRTW) @ 2
Write CAS latency (tWCL) @ 1
DRAM drive strength @ 1
Max async. latency @ 6ns
Read preamble time @ 4.5ns
Idle cycle limit @ 16clks
Dynamic counter @ enabled
R/W queue bypass @ 8x
Bypass max @ 7x
32 byte granulation @ 8 burst

I've still got Refresh period (tREF) and DQS skew control left to play with.
Gained some nice numbers in sandra & everest mem benches. Also gained quite a bit in 3Dmark 01. I've only tested 3 passes of memtest till now, but it seems stable. What are you guys with EB running at?
It was alot of work, but oh, so fun :D

wow, nice work ,man.

for you tref, try 3120, 4708,2560, and 3072.

for the scew, you just have to try different suff. increase, and 64, or 128 seem to work good....

-Jess-

Bump, getting close to the bottom, and there quiet a few WupDates

:D

-Jess-

jmke said:
Excellent info there Jess1313, thank you for your time and effort !

NoProblem man, its my pleasure

Oftopic=HeHe..... "Master of the Engrish language" hum?, i find Engrish.com hillarious me self...haha, and i think my engLish teachers though i was the master of the Engrish language....

:beer:

-Jess-

I wonder why this thread ain't sticky, this must BE the most popular A64 S754 OC board every:)

jmke said:
I wonder why this thread ain't sticky, this must BE the most popular A64 S754 OC board every:)

Yeah, the DFI NF3-250GB has grown very vast in popularity, and for good reasons, it is just simply the best 754 OCing board avaible IMHO.

Sooner or later i will go to 939, but only when it gets some solid maturity under its belt(and when DFI releases a 939 board:beer:, i cant help it, im a fan boy....hehe)

-Jess-

Jess1313 thank you very much dude for your post of BH-5/BH-6 prefered timings. Im current useing CH-5 memories and i could achive with it 240-2-2-2 but 2T :bang head , i tried different voltages etc , nothing helped, i gived up ( after 2 weeks of tweaking 16 h peer day ).

What i didnt tried was settings below "Dram Drive Strenght" , all were set to AUTO. Yesterday night i readed your post and i thinked mabe i give one lucky shot.... and guess what im now stable at 240-2-2-2 1 T, option that must be set to do that on my CH-5 are:

DQS skew Control: Incrase skew ( default AUTO )
DQS skew Value: 43 ( default 0 )
R/W Queue Bypass: 16x ( default 8x)
Bypass Max: 07x ( default 05x)

When i touch any of these 4 i change value to default , systems makes unstable prime is failing. But now im so happy i disovered solution of my problem thank to your post. BiG GREETZ

First, thanks for the great guide.

I have a weird problem. I setup a stable system at 240x10 (newcastle 3000+), TCCD 2x 512 rams running 240 2.5-3-3-10 2T, all other settings on auto. Memtest passed with no errors, primer ran several hours. Then I wanted to raise memspeed, but didn't want to push CPU any more. So I set the multi to 9x. The wierd thing is that when I set the multi to 9x memtest doesn't pass anymore; all other setting unchanged (!) - still 240 2.5-3-3-10. Also, it doesnt help if I losen mem timings, memtest would consistently produce errors at the end of test #5.

Now, I'm quite new to this overclocking business, but I guess the CPU multiplier shouldn't affect memory stability. Am I wrong, any ideas?

Thanks,
Marko

misobol said:
Jess1313 thank you very much dude for your post of BH-5/BH-6 prefered timings. Im current useing CH-5 memories and i could achive with it 240-2-2-2 but 2T :bang head , i tried different voltages etc , nothing helped, i gived up ( after 2 weeks of tweaking 16 h peer day ).

What i didnt tried was settings below "Dram Drive Strenght" , all were set to AUTO. Yesterday night i readed your post and i thinked mabe i give one lucky shot.... and guess what im now stable at 240-2-2-2 1 T, option that must be set to do that on my CH-5 are:

DQS skew Control: Incrase skew ( default AUTO )
DQS skew Value: 43 ( default 0 )
R/W Queue Bypass: 16x ( default 8x)
Bypass Max: 07x ( default 05x)

When i touch any of these 4 i change value to default , systems makes unstable prime is failing. But now im so happy i disovered solution of my problem thank to your post. BiG GREETZ

Very glad to have helped man

thats some nice speeds out of CH-5 ,man.

:clap:

-Jess-

zehnan said:
First, thanks for the great guide.

I have a weird problem. I setup a stable system at 240x10 (newcastle 3000+), TCCD 2x 512 rams running 240 2.5-3-3-10 2T, all other settings on auto. Memtest passed with no errors, primer ran several hours. Then I wanted to raise memspeed, but didn't want to push CPU any more. So I set the multi to 9x. The wierd thing is that when I set the multi to 9x memtest doesn't pass anymore; all other setting unchanged (!) - still 240 2.5-3-3-10. Also, it doesnt help if I losen mem timings, memtest would consistently produce errors at the end of test #5.

Now, I'm quite new to this overclocking business, but I guess the CPU multiplier shouldn't affect memory stability. Am I wrong, any ideas?

Thanks,
Marko

HUmm, you are not the only one that has experienced this. a 9x multi should not make it unstable, but alot of people have had this. and i see it on alot of Newcastles.......

no solution is know to date...

-Jess-

Jess, need help.

I am a total noob that has been reading about ocing like crazy for the past 2 weeks. So I decided to get started and I used your suggested Ram timings and started to see how she will be at stock settings with your BH5 suggestions. Runs through memtest on 5 and 8 for hours and no errors at 200FSB. (My cpu stock is 11x200). Ran Prime last nite and woke up to an error after 1.5 hours. Geez this thing is at stock. OHHH, I did change the voltages to vcore 1.6, vdimm3.1, vdd 1.7. CnQ is disabled. Using 10/15 bios. I have made no other changes in bios. This is a totally new rig. Bought these Kingston HyperX that label KHX3200/512 and are not A's or anything else. These chips are from Outpost and seems to mabye have been used but my feeling is that if it passes memtest easily, why am I not passing prime.

Just to go back in time before I started to mess with the memory, I had everything set to Auto in the DRAM Settings and just changed the voltages. When it was at auto the DRAM FREQ was at 100mhz? 1/2???? But I was able to do 10 x 250 at prime with no probs (didnt try to go farther) but of course my mem was running at 125mhz, 1/2 as it was set in Auto. SO back to the problem. I set the cpu to 11x200 (stock) and just made all the DRAM mem changes you have suggested for bh5s (of course set freq to 1:1) and ran prime last nite and got error. Any suggestions? Could the ram be bad but if it passes memtest with no probs at higher Freqz how could it be that. Please help. \
Thnaks from a noob that is trying to get started.
Joe

Thanks for the reply Jess :), though I aint very pleased with the fact I cant use 9x :(

Anyway, I have this newcastle running 10x240 (1.586V). I cant use 9x multi so I'll try to raise FSB some more. Now, I am a bit confused about CPU temps. With the new bios (Jess's) the temps are like 10°C lower. With Zalman cooling I get 38°C under full load (old bios reported 48). Is this temperature correct? Also, how much is still considered to be 'healthy' for my processor?

joedeman said:
Jess, need help.

I am a total noob that has been reading about ocing like crazy for the past 2 weeks. So I decided to get started and I used your suggested Ram timings and started to see how she will be at stock settings with your BH5 suggestions. Runs through memtest on 5 and 8 for hours and no errors at 200FSB. (My cpu stock is 11x200). Ran Prime last nite and woke up to an error after 1.5 hours. Geez this thing is at stock. OHHH, I did change the voltages to vcore 1.6, vdimm3.1, vdd 1.7. CnQ is disabled. Using 10/15 bios. I have made no other changes in bios. This is a totally new rig. Bought these Kingston HyperX that label KHX3200/512 and are not A's or anything else. These chips are from Outpost and seems to mabye have been used but my feeling is that if it passes memtest easily, why am I not passing prime.

Just to go back in time before I started to mess with the memory, I had everything set to Auto in the DRAM Settings and just changed the voltages. When it was at auto the DRAM FREQ was at 100mhz? 1/2???? But I was able to do 10 x 250 at prime with no probs (didnt try to go farther) but of course my mem was running at 125mhz, 1/2 as it was set in Auto. SO back to the problem. I set the cpu to 11x200 (stock) and just made all the DRAM mem changes you have suggested for bh5s (of course set freq to 1:1) and ran prime last nite and got error. Any suggestions? Could the ram be bad but if it passes memtest with no probs at higher Freqz how could it be that. Please help. \
Thnaks from a noob that is trying to get started.
Joe

have you poped the spreaders mang?

some people have gotten none A hyper X from outpost, and it wasnt BH-5, it was CH-5...

:-/

try using either 2-3-2, or 2-2-3, and see if this helps stability...

-Jess-

zehnan said:
Thanks for the reply Jess :), though I aint very pleased with the fact I cant use 9x :(

Anyway, I have this newcastle running 10x240 (1.586V). I cant use 9x multi so I'll try to raise FSB some more. Now, I am a bit confused about CPU temps. With the new bios (Jess's) the temps are like 10°C lower. With Zalman cooling I get 38°C under full load (old bios reported 48). Is this temperature correct? Also, how much is still considered to be 'healthy' for my processor?

this is most likely correct.(the temp).

as long as your under 55-60C load, your good

:)

-Jess-

I am afraid of poping off those spreaders.....any tips on that and what to do to put them back on?
when i use CPUZ it reads them as 2-2-2-6???

joedeman said:
I am afraid of poping off those spreaders.....any tips on that and what to do to put them back on?
when i use CPUZ it reads them as 2-2-2-6???

wells, man, just try um at 2-3-2, or 2-2-3, and if they get stable, then they are mostlikely not BH-5....

truely, unless they are bum bh-5, you should be able to run my suggested timings at 200mhz no problem man,

have you tried lowwing your CPU multi to 9 or 8 to be sure there isnt something goin on with your CPU man?

-Jess-

Back