• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD starts shipping 90 nanometre Athlon 64s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yes in this instance speed binning is not the correct terminology. What AMD will already be doing is load testing their FX cpus at 2.6GHz for a given voltage - this is something they do with all cpus prior to release anyway. As the release date is already close they will have be testing the cpus at 2.6GHz now rather than 2.4Ghz.
Xtrmeocr remember only 1 frequency of FX is released at any one time so whereas with the A64 normal range, "frequency binning" may occur that will not be the case for the FX.

I hope 90nm cpus don't overclock poorly because there will be a lot of angry overclockers. Everyone will be trying to get 130nm cores in that case, and they are being phased out.

Quailane said:
I hope 90nm cpus don't overclock poorly because there will be a lot of angry overclockers. Everyone will be trying to get 130nm cores in that case, and they are being phased out.
I hope so too, but do not expect them to be miracle CPU's. In time they will do well. They will have to clock higher otherwise AMD will be screwed if they cannot get higher clocks because it will be hard to keep up.

Keep in mind, remember when the first .13micron AMD came out? The 2200+ Tbred A? It was no miracle overclocker at first...but look at the 130nm 1700's, I myself am doing in the 2.5's with it, look at all the fabulouse overclocks with the mobile Bartons.

Look at Prescott, I am now seeing some insane overclocks with those.

My point is, don't expect a miracle right away, but give it time, and I would bet money they will do pretty damn decent in the future.

Yes in this instance speed binning is not the correct terminology. What AMD will already be doing is load testing their FX cpus at 2.6GHz for a given voltage - this is something they do with all cpus prior to release anyway. As the release date is already close they will have be testing the cpus at 2.6GHz now rather than 2.4Ghz.
Xtrmeocr remember only 1 frequency of FX is released at any one time so whereas with the A64 normal range, "frequency binning" may occur that will not be the case for the FX.

:thup: You saved me from saying similar words.

As it would seem that AMD is only confident up to 2.2Ghz at 90nm (3000+ through to 3500+ plus being released) then I think we can expect overclocks similar to those at present on initial release but nothing more.

Sentential said:
Soon as I get word about them Im going A64

thats the spirit, you want those 30k marks :D

This article says that they aren't so premature http://www.penstarsys.com/index.html#90_nm

3GHz here I come, 21.5k with ti4200, 23k with 9500np, here I come :burn:

"Well think about it man. If the die shrink goes ok then I dont see why not. Most of us are getting 2.6ghz on air. I see no reason why we wont see a 90nm SOI chip do 3ghz on air, if all goes well"

ditto! I can smell some insane 3dmarks and gaming with a 3GHz winchester, my ti4200 would own most 9800 pros too LOL!!!!!!!

"They will have to clock higher otherwise AMD will be screwed if they cannot get higher clocks because it will be hard to keep up."

thats what ive been telling everyone, even the first revisions should do good or amd isnt gonna magically get them so much better if the first ones cant even oc more than my 2.6GHz castle, itll be a sad day for amd

"

that be fuc#in sick, a 3Ghz a64 HELL YA!!!"

and 21k plus with mah ti4200 :sn:

Overclocker550 said:
"They will have to clock higher otherwise AMD will be screwed if they cannot get higher clocks because it will be hard to keep up."

thats what ive been telling everyone, even the first revisions should do good or amd isnt gonna magically get them so much better if the first ones cant even oc more than my 2.6GHz castle, itll be a sad day for amd

AMD doesn't have to provide you with chips that overclock like crazy. Even if AMD doesn't have the largest market share of CPUs, an overwhelming majority of their business is not to enthusiasts. It's to OEMs and retailers.

I guess you completely forgot about the TbredAs. They were AMD's first crack at 130nm. Guess what? They didn't overclock any better than the Pally chips that had had time to mature.

Last edited:
3GHz with 90nm process? Just look at it logically, if that was anyway easily achievable on air right now they would at least be shipping 3800+ (2.4Ghz) at 90nm as well. However this is not the case. For that site to say that they are merely serving the high volume markets first to satisfy demand - is fanciful in the least and merely conjecture by one individual!

xtrmeocr said:
just one step closer to my a64 purchase, the final piece of the puzzle is a nf4 sli mobo

Yep, me too...

Athlon 64, Nforce 4 motherboard, one, mabye two 6800GTs in SLI, a big powersource, and RAID5, 2 gig RAM...

But when will this be possible?

The thread doesn't exist anymore.

Overclocker550 said:
god hes a noob, I get better than that with 130nm, just wait till real people hit 3GHz or near that

How about you not insult someone when you don't even know the details of the overclock? It could be on stock volts. You never know. So chill out. You also don't know that people will be hitting 3ghz.

Plus, you keep ignoring me. Where's the proof for your claim of some guy hitting 2.7ghz on a 90nm Mobile?

I am sure he knew about raising volts, I dont think he was going for a record, just tried 2.5GHz and never tried higher, probably didnt care. dude, my 130nm newcastle is faster than his winchester! the thread for 2.7GHz doesnt exist either. you want proof, wait a few days till those who ordered one recieve them!

i dont know what AMD's plan is but all you're talk about 3Ghz athlon 64's on air is making horny :D

Overclocker550 said:
I am sure he knew about raising volts, I dont think he was going for a record, just tried 2.5GHz and never tried higher, probably didnt care. dude, my 130nm newcastle is faster than his winchester! the thread for 2.7GHz doesnt exist either. you want proof, wait a few days till those who ordered one recieve them!

You're sure, eh? If you're sure that he never tried higher, then why did you call him a noob? You know absolutely nothing about the situation, yet you blasted the guy.

Yeah, the thread doesn't exist for the 2.7ghz chip because you probably made it up. :rolleyes: Look, man, you've claimed that you saw a 2.7ghz chip so many times, and you've never produced proof.

And yeah, I am going to wait and see what happens with the 90nm chips. You don't seem to be content with waiting, though. It's prediction after prediction for you.

I was so close to picking up a 90nm 3000 today, but after really honestly reflecting on it you guys make alot of points, I myself owned a 1700 (JIHUB) and was able to get it to 2.2 I know I could've gotten higher but really didnt bother me, anyway I think Im going to give the 90nm's a little time to mature and order a 3000 S754 w/ the new DFI Lanparty board I have no doubt that the 90nms are going to rock but i myself will be pretty happy playing a 2.5ghz on a 3000 the nominal increase i would be getting switching to a 90nm 3000 probably wouldnt be worth it yet, Especially with NF4 soon to be out.

I was so close to picking up a 90nm 3000 today, but after really honestly reflecting on it you guys make alot of points, I myself owned a 1700 (JIHUB) and was able to get it to 2.2 I know I could've gotten higher but really didnt bother me, anyway I think Im going to give the 90nm's a little time to mature and order a 3000 S754 w/ the new DFI Lanparty board I have no doubt that the 90nms are going to rock but i myself will be pretty happy playing a 2.5ghz on a 3000 the nominal increase i would be getting switching to a 90nm 3000 probably wouldnt be worth it yet, Especially with NF4 soon to be out.
But the 754 is gonna be sidelined very soon with dual channel 939 dont you think. If I were you I would wait for another mth and see the trend.............

Back