EEC Registered memory and Abit boards

I picked up 2 sticks of HyperX 3200 ECC Registered ram. It was too good of price to pass up. I was not sure if it would work in my AI7 but since I had read somewhere about my IC7 Max3 would work as long as it was unbuffered, I checked the data sheet at Kingston and it didn't say either way about if it was buffered. I have tried it in both m/b's and it will not work. The AI7 wont even beep, the Max3 at least gives the one long beep, but still won't POST. I even tried clearing the CMOS but no go. Am I missing something or is it just not going to work with either board?
    Motherboard ------- Asus Rampage Extreme
    CPU ---------------- QX9650
    Memory -------------Crucial Ballistix
    Harddrives --------- 300g Velociraptor, WD6400AAKSx2 Matrix Raid, 74g Raptor, 7200.10 500g
    Graphics Card ----- Sapphire HD4870 CF
    Soundcard ----------X-Fi Platinum
    Case --------------- HSPC Top-Deck
    PowerSupply ------- Corsair TX750
    Cooling -------------Watercooled

Registered
    Registered RAM is the same as Buffered RAM and 865/875 boards donít support Buffered RAM.

Registered RAM is the same as Buffered RAM
    This I did not know

865/875 boards don’t support Buffered RAM.
    This I did know

Thanks
    Harddrives --------- 300g Velociraptor, WD6400AAKSx2 Matrix Raid, 74g Raptor, 7200.10 500g

My understanding is that the Intel 875 Chipset does support Registered ECC memory modules...

" (ACPI) Memory: Four 184-pin DIMM sockets, Supports 4 DIMM Single/Dual Channel DDR 400 memory (Max. 4GB). Supports configurable ECC function. "

"Configurable" seems to be the key word here...That is a quote on the IC7-G Max II.
    Last edited by Hookem; 09-19-04 at 05:19 PM.
    If you build it...They will come...and I will crash it!!!

Switching to Intel
    Antec 300, Corsair HX5650W, Asus P5Q PRO Turbo, Intel Q9550, Thermalright SI-128-SE, 2x4 G.Skiell PC64000 DDR2, XFX 4890, 640 Black OS Drive, 2 640 Blacks RAID-0, Audiotrak Prodigy HD2, Vantec SATA EzSwap, Mitsumi floppy, Lian-Li card reader, Lian Li T4, Dell E198WFP, AudioEngine 5 speakers.
    In progress build.

My understanding is that the Intel 875 Chipset does support Registered ECC memory modules..
    Yes but it also says that it has to be unbuffered also. I did not know that Registered meant buffered when I picked the stuff up. I knew it may not work in the AI7 but I was hoping for the Max3 since it did not say it WAS buffered. Oh well, you live and you learn. Stuff is listed on Ebay now since there didn't seem to be any interest here.