• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS is the worst shipper ever...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
im going to the ups sort facility next friday at the RDU airport for an aerospace class thingy, its *** kickin time :D

theve dented too many boxes of mine

theMonster said:
UPS is unionized which means a few things. 1) they are well paid and have great benefits 2) they are protected against unscrupulous company policy 3)they cannot be fired or at least it is VERY difficult for them to be. The heart of the problem lies in #3. This is also why the quality of Ford, GM and Chrysler products have gone to crap while Honda and Toyota routinely kick their butts.

Very intuitive comments about the union. Pretty true from my experience. Unionized jobs breed laziness, because people take advantage of the protection, and the union lets them. I'm in the union, but i'm not proud of it for sure...

TheNewGuy143 said:
And btw if you ship using usps from us to canada there are no such border fees.
TheNewGuy
actually, thats not 100% true. i have recieved shipments from the us with ups, fedex and usps.

ups is the worst of them all i also had to pay $67cnd cod to get my 9600pro (took 4 weeks to get to me ad still had to pay)

fedex delivered a set of logitech z-680's and i got a bill of about $30cnd- $40cnd 3 weeks later

usps only charges border fees if a package is sent using "express mail" or some special delivery method. this usually depends on the cost of the item (which is still only about 1/3 of what ups charges)

there are NO border fees if the sender uses regular usps mail service.

we should get a sticky up in the classifieds that warns international buyers of the the ups border fees and sugests to other memebers to use only usps :bday:

mrm1957 said:
Think that's bad look at the XP1800 I recieved today these idiots must have have used it for a step ladder:
Lol those guys are completely stupid!!! I hope you do something a bout that like :cry: Like I said do not use them for shipping nothing. Except my superb a64 bundle i receiver today that rocks btw!!! :clap:
TheNewGuy

Yes I filed a damage claim and the shipper is filing also. I just can't believe that they keep paying thousands of dollars in damages by a bunch of incompetent people that don't care about others property. Overpaid knuckleheads.

just recieved another bum package from them.

shipment of zerex racing coolant from cooltechnia, box was smashed to ****.

lucky cooltechnia knows how to pack :temper:

wizard james said:
over and over and over and over and over..

i see this happen all the time.. i wonder if anyone and make a anti ups site??>...

I second that.. I have seen people get charged $35 for Duty/handling, etc for $10 goods..LOL

kindred said:
UPS sucks. I love seeing DHL give UPS and FedEx a run for the money. :clap:

Honestly, I think DHL sucks too. They act as an expeditor for USPS, and charge brokerage fees that are just as high as UPS. I bought an SK-7 from a store using USPS and then received it from DHL.
Then I received a letter from them a couple weeks later demanding a brokerage fee that raised the cost of my $30 CDN SK-7 to almost $60. At least UPS will tell you about it right away.....:rolleyes:

David Coleman said:
Have you ever delivered 500+ packages in 8 hours?

Ok then.

8 hours multiplied by 60 minutes multiplied by 60 seconds divided by 500 packages = 1 package delivered every 57.6 seconds... hahaha - If someone from UPS told me they delivered 500 packages in 8 hours not only would they be incompetent, but liars too. haha... you gotta laugh, although those receiving the banged up merchandise clearly aren't.

Graphicism said:
8 hours multiplied by 60 minutes multiplied by 60 seconds divided by 500 packages = 1 package delivered every 57.6 seconds... hahaha - If someone from UPS told me they delivered 500 packages in 8 hours not only would they be incompetent, but liars too. haha... you gotta laugh, although those receiving the banged up merchandise clearly aren't.

When 100 packages are going to one location, like often happens at a mall or commercial center, those kind of numbers happen every day. Remember the difference between a package and a stop. :)

I worked for UPS for over 5 years. Drivers on average have between 100-200 stops per day, during the peak season that goes up to 200-300 stops per day.

The package handlers (the guys that load the 45' trailers) must scan and load an average of at least 650 pieces per hour. Most loaders can load packages in excess of 750 pph. In an average night a UPS sorting Facility will sort between 75,000 and 200,000 pieces per night per shift, depending on the size of the facility/sort.

This is where a lot of damage can occur. If the load is loose, packages shift in transit and possibly break. Often times (especially when shipping computer cases) the packaging is made strong enough to handle palletized loads. UPS does not utilize palletized loads, therefore, things like cases, or other poorly packed items do not survive shipment.

I'm not defending UPS (I don't work there anymore), rather I'm just arguing that the fault for messed up packages and broken items can lay with the person who packed the item. My entire 5 years there I have never seen a properly packed item get damaged. As for service, that lays with the driver, and all the drivers are union, some are good, some are bad, but Unions do not help either the company or the customers.

Remember, Fed-Ex isn't any better. I had some friends that quit UPS and worked for Fed-Ex. They say Fed-Ex is just like UPS, except with fruitier colors.

If you send it USPS you don’t get any broker fees, it’s only the independent carriers that charge broker fees. Sometimes UPS charges half the value of the item. I make agreements beforehand to ship USPS before I buy anything from the US. If they still ship UPS I leave negative feedback.

I’ve bought over 100 items from the U.S. and UPS shafted me every single time. Although with USPS you can get charged GST sometimes it nothing compared to the shafting you get from UPS.

eobard said:
Any time something goes from the US to Canada there is the possibility of import duties and brokering fees. These are the law. It's not the shipper screwing the customer over, it's the govornment. As for paying for an RMA, that I think is too much. The border duties and such were initially paid for when the product was originally imported into Canada, it should not be paid a second time just to get one working product.

Not true! USPS does not charge broker fees only independent carriers charge them. Since the free trade talks we don’t pay duty…but we do pay Goods and Services Tax…..GST. which is only 7 percent.... not the fifty percent that UPS shafts you with.

you got that right. i got charged $80 dollars worth of brokerage fees on two packages. usps does not charge me anything except the taxes on the "declared" value.

Back