• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking into AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, Im thinking about making the switch from Intel to AMD.
My current Intel rig is as follows
CPU - 3.0E
Mobo - Abit IC7-Max2

More specs in sig if needs be.

I want to know what would be a compairable AMD setup, CPU/Mobo Combo.

What are the difference's between the Mobile XP's, Mobile A64's, A64's and XP's.

Cooling really isnt a issue, as I have a WC setup.

I want to get the most raw speed out of this, and be able to run Dual Channel Memory still.

Thanks!

If you dont want to downgrade then you will have to use socket 939 cpus if you still want dual channel. In this range you have the FX's (2.4Ghz and 1Mb L2 cache - mega expensive but the best cpu out there right now) or the 3800+ (2.4ghz with 512Kb L2 cache) and 3500+ (2.2Ghz) A64's at 130nm. Just being released are 3000+ (1.8Ghz), 3200+ (2Ghz) and 3500+ in 90nm process. You say raw speed I assume you mean raw frequency or performance as they are completely different things.

So I think you mean frequency. Hmm you might want to wait and see how the new 90nm 939's fare in terms of overclocking - they are due for imminent release so we will know soon enough.

Well I want to get the best 'overall' performance if I go AMD style... I dont really have money to spend, Just want to trade the Intel setup I have now for a Equal AMD.

I am pretty sure OC was just talking about the A64 line of processors for dual channel.

Dual channel wont give much of a performance increase at all, unless you are encoding video or something. Up and until now, socket 754 was the way to go, as it was 1/3 the pirce of a 939 system and the performance was within 5%, but with the 90nm cpus coming out, 939 has gotten cheap. AthlonXP platform is still fairly fast, but even overclocked to the max an XP will only edge out your P4.

For socket A, the mobile 2600+ goes for $100 and overclocks from 1.9ghz to 2.5ghz+ usualy. The socket 754 cpu's are all pretty good, but try to get a newcastle core if you want to overclock a lot. For 939, the new 90nm's are the obvios choice atm, but I would wait a few days/weeks and see the results gotten from them. Either way, they will be fast.

theMonster said:
I don't know where you got you info on dual channel from, OC, but my Nforce2 with 2600m does dual channel just fine.
My information is just fine thanks - I am well aware that NF2 has dual channel capabilities. If you read my post I said that if he didnt want to downgrade then he would have to go 939. As he has his P4 at 3.75Ghz I would consider moving to a mobile barton on an NF2 a downgrade hence I discarded this as an option.

Back