• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone have Charter?? I want static IP but they only give to business???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jabroni1m

Anyone have charter and if so do you know how to get a static line without going business. They told me no but I really want a static line. Is there some kind of software program or router that will keep me at a static ip? Anyone with charter, please reply with your opinions of them.

I have Charter and I do not know of a way to get a static IP from them residentially. Why don't you try No-IP?

Clint

Warning, because at the least, the majority of cable ISPs hate people that are running servers, the ISP may terminate your account!!! You have been warned.

^^ As he said.

They won't give you a static line unless you go business. They know you want to run a server...
And if you want to anyways why don't you just use No-IP? I did that for hosting my site for almost a year...

I don't want to run a server, I want to download from one that requires a user name and password and my ip address enabled and allowed. Its an ftp my brother runs, its for personal use and i only download a few gigs a week but my damn ip keeps changing.
I will check out no ip to see if thats an option, and what does a DNS do, how does it work?

and does anyone know how much charter charges for a business line?

Is your brother restricting his FTP server by username/pass AND IP?
If he feels that he must restrict by IP then ask him to allow your whole IP block it would be best...
I don't think no-ip will have a solution for you. Has your bro considered Secure FTP?

And I don't think I want to know how much charter business is :p

Well I do not particularly like charter but for 26.99 until dec 31 I get their 3mb speed. True speeds are 369 average. I download about 22.1 mb a minute, nice speeds for me.

Back