• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which of my two heatinks to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Propilot

I have a slot1 PIII 750.
Before I spend alot of time mirror polish lapping both of these heatsinks which one do you think will have the best cooling?

1. Golden Orb

2. Standard Global twin fan

Thanks

I can't speak for the GlobalWin, but the Orb isn't ideal for overclocking. I know from experience that lapping it is a pain, especially with the pins in the way, and the horribly machined bottom. In my opinion, any other cooler is probably better than the orb. When I upgraded from the retail heatsink, I only got about 5C of better temperatures, even not overclocked. Now, I get about 10C better, but I changed heatsinks again. So my input is that the GlobalWin will be better

I'd have to agree with the above...don't use the Gorb. There's not enough metal in the base of it, (or any or it, really) to remove heat properly when you start winding it up. Overclocking creates heat, and these won't cut it at anything over default conditions.

Now, you wouldn't have gotten the BE6 II v2.0 to run that P/// at default, would ya??? =) hehehe

Get a really good HSF to start with, and you won't have to worry about heat. This is one thing that I've learned over time in my overclocking journeys. START OUT USING THE BEST COMPONENTS, and you won't waste time and or money.

Why buy a $100+ mobo, and a $100+ CPU, and mount a $12.99 HSF on it???

Look into getting an Alpha P3125.... They're a bit expensive ($35ish) but a lot cheaper than a new CPU....=)

After doing extensive torture testing;
26c idle
44c under load.....then crash

I have broken down and ordered an Alpha P3125.
I hope they are worth the money!

Back