• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Ultimate FAH Network Install is born...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
FizzledFiend said:
now if WEDO could do this so I can do it remotley without any intervention from people on there machines...ahh well so much for this idea..maybe when my package arives Ic an get my minifarm up and give it a whirl...excellent job WEDo! Once again you have saved me lots and lots of work!

i have contacts..... er.... maybe i shouldnt say that outloud >.>;;. *PSSSSTITSPOSSIBLEPSSSSSSSSSSSSST* nehow.... now all i need to do is follow meh mum to work, find der mainfraim and secretly install! in the process melting theyr server >.> WEEE

FizzledFiend said:
the only problem I have and these are minor things for most, but a BIG stopping point for me. the vbs script is halted by AVS secondly the pop-up window. if both of these could be stopped we could crawl to the top. machines around the world would be folding ;)

What? If your AVS is tightened down so much that a simple network inquiry is halted then turn AVS off. I have AVG Pro running and it didn't give a rats behind about this script.

Furthermore, the pop up window serves notice that the task is completed. Otherwise I would have people asking me how they know when the proggy is finished.

I just don't see these as stopping points for a program that can install FAH on 1000 computers in a matter of minutes with every config and registry setting you would ever want to have.

do all the machines on the network have to have their C drive shared for this to work, or can it install on clients even if they aren't sharing any drives.

They need to be logged into the network on the domain your scanning. They do not have to be sharing the root of C. What large network would have every regular user's C shared?

Is this right Wedo... The scan will return everything that is logged in. Or will it return everything that is turned on?

*IMOG shares in the happy dance*

BTW, thought I'd mention that I do not know how any large network could run AV which would not allow a vbs to execute... I use vbs tools to fix user problems every day I work.

Last edited:
Wedo said:
What? If your AVS is tightened down so much that a simple network inquiry is halted then turn AVS off. I have AVG Pro running and it didn't give a rats behind about this script.

Furthermore, the pop up window serves notice that the task is completed. Otherwise I would have people asking me how they know when the proggy is finished.

I just don't see these as stopping points for a program that can install FAH on 1000 computers in a matter of minutes with every config and registry setting you would ever want to have.

Norton 2003 asked if i wanted to allow this script to run...as soon as that window pops up you know some poor idiot is going to say Nope stop not going to do this....just tll me where to stop the popup and I will be happy man :)

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but I need some help...

I would like to test the script on part of my network, however I do not completely understand how to correctly edit the vbs to scan only what I wish to scan.

Considering the size of the SW network here, I am skeptical of how long it could take to find EVERYONE. I work with novell software here, and am not clear on what information I need to put here:

Set object=GetObject("WinNT://workgroup")

I am not sure what workgroup or domain I should input... Where would I look to find this?

If I go into network neighborhood, and drill down like so:

Entire Network>Netware Services>Novell Directory services>IMOG tree root>IMOG tree HQ>IMOG IT>IMOG's office

What do I edit in in order to scan "IMOG's office"?

Would this be correct to run a scan on my office:

Set object=GetObject("WinNT://IMOG tree root/IMOG tree HQ/IMOG IT/IMOG's office")

In our school everyone has a sign in and pass to the network.
Will folding still work?
Or will it not?

musawi said:
In our school everyone has a sign in and pass to the network.
Will folding still work?
Or will it not?

You are connecting through a proxy. Yes folding will still work, you have to configure the config file for access through the proxy. Delete the config file then run the fah console... It will prompt you for configuration information.

Enter your user name and enter team 32. Tell it yes to install as a service. Tell it no for asking to send work. Tell it no to use IE settings. Tell it yes to use proxy. Tell it the name of your proxy. Tell it the port for your proxy. Tell it yes to use username and password for proxy. Enter your username and password you use to get to the internet. Proceed through the rest of setup selecting appropriate options.

If you do not know the name and port for your proxy, open IE and select tools from the menu at the top, and select internet options. Select the connections tab on the window that opens and click the LAN settings button at the bottom. Another window will open which lists your proxy information at the bottom in two text boxes. That is the address (name) and port for your proxy. ;)

Save the resulting config file, and use it with the installer in the future, and you will not have to manually configure every machine in the future. ;)

TallRW - Good question. :D The installer maps to the C drive on the target machines by using the UNC path of the share (eg. //Computer-1/C$). The C drive is a hidden share in windows networks, thus the "$". However, yes, the machine has to be turned on to install the program. No power, no install as you can't write to a hard drive that isn't spinning.

IMOG - I'm not sure about the Novell network. I would try using the complete path (\\The\Whole\darn\thing) then go from there.

Ok when I tried to use the network installer on my home network any my schools and I got an error both times. I followed the readme and when I try to execute the computers.vbs I get an error. To make sure I wasn't doing something wrong I also tried just executing it on a fresh unzip and I still get the error.

BTW line 9 is the one where you are supposed to put in the workgroup.

TallRW, you need to create a temp directory on the root of C. I had that error while testing, just make a C:\Temp and you'll be good to go. The vbs needs the directory for output of the computer.txt file.

I tested the FAH Deployer yesterday on two small network, both of which already had FAH running (with some clients still using FAH3). The problem is that when you run the .bat file, it installs everything correctly, but since the core_##.exe didn't have time to stop, you get an error in the fah.log that reads like this:

[16:22:50] Client no longer detected. Shutting down core
[16:22:50]
[16:22:50] Folding@home Core Shutdown: CLIENT_DIED

Do not fret, the client will kick the core up again in a matter of seconds (10-45) and all will be well.

NOTE: I made a couple of revisions to the .bat file. It now stops and then deletes the FAH service on the target machines to make a cleaner install of the new client and service. If your target machine doesn't have FAH running, there will be an error in the command line, but the program will just keep on going and install everything correctly anyway.

I also made the name of the network that needs to be edited in the .vbs script "Workgroup" like it says in the readme. Accidently left it as the name of my home network... I also left a copy of the computers.txt file in the first version which might confuse some people.

The revision also has two extra commands in the .bat file which first stop and then delete the FAH service (as mentioned above) which will help with a cleaner install of the new service and new client.

Download it here.

The latest revision worked great for me at a friends house this morning Wedo... BorgIncarnate+3. :D

As for work on Monday, I was able to scan my office "workgroup" fine just by looking at the workgroup name under system properties in windows. However, it would be very nice if I could figure out how to scan the PC's in the office next to mine, and the office under them, and the office on the 15th floor above mine... They all have the default workgroup name "workgroup", however I don't know how to tell the VBS scan to look wider than just in my office. No further pointers as to why the scan would only return the PC's in my office?

What I want to do is this: I want to be able to get the name of someone's machine, type it into the computer.txt file, then sit back and watch as FAH gets deployed onto their box... But if the .vbs cannot see outside of my office with the instructions I give it, I'm guessing that the .bat will not either. :-/

I will play with it a bit tomorow when I'm back into work and let you know if I figure anything out which might be useful for others using this tool.

I.M.O.G. said:
....However, it would be very nice if I could figure out how to scan the PC's in the office next to mine, and the office under them, and the office on the 15th floor above mine... They all have the default workgroup name "workgroup", however I don't know how to tell the VBS scan to look wider than just in my office. No further pointers as to why the scan would only return the PC's in my office?

What I want to do is this: I want to be able to get the name of someone's machine, type it into the computer.txt file, then sit back and watch as FAH gets deployed onto their box... But if the .vbs cannot see outside of my office with the instructions I give it, I'm guessing that the .bat will not either....

You're having a forest, tree, branch, and leaf problem. Your computer is on a leaf, and upstairs in office 500, they're on their own leaf, then next door in office 501, they are own their own leaf as well... etc etc etc...

To install to all the leaves, on all the branches, on all the trees in the forest, you need to be on a machine that has full access to the entire network. Somewhere there is a domain controller of the top domain (or Novell equivalent) and that computer might be able to see all the leaves from it's high perch.

Or...

You might be able to type into the vbs script:

set object=GetObject("WinNT://Workgroup")

//Forest/Trees/Branches/Leaf-1

and run the installer, then use:

//Forest/Trees/Branches/Leaf-2

and so on and so on until all the leaves are blowing proteins for team 32.

oh man WEDO this is turning out GREAT! soon i will have figured out how to get this baby working the way i need it too and networks around the world will fold for 32! WOOHOO!

Thanks Wedo, excellent summarization... I'll chew on that thought further, as you pointed in that direction previously. I think I am getting closer - I'm definetly lost in the forest though, you hit the nail on the head there. :D

I'm a PC/LAN Analyst there, but I'm only a lowly coop, so while I know a lot, and have a lot more clearance than I really know what to do with... Many things about infrastructure are very foggy for me.

I know how our divisions are set up, and I can navigate through the Novell SW tree (forest) where our user containers (leaves) are for certain groups (branches) in certain divisions (branches). This is how I would remote control someone's machine to fix a problem. There is some pretty good novell documentation around the net from what I have seen so far... Could probably find something useful to understand this better.

Question: I see the output in computer.txt is the computer name of each workstation discovered. Is this the only thing the bat will accept to install folding onto a remote machine... If I would place an IP there would the install/distribution fail? I will try this on one of my PC's at work tomorow, but figured I would ask.

To reiterate in case it isn't already clear to all, you are THE man wedo.

Back