Thread: Dead HD's?

Dead HD's?

I woke up this morning and turned on my desktop. And low and behold, one of the two ide hard drives didn't show up in bios. No big deal, one was working. It had did this before so I just rebooted and checked my connections. Everything was fine, and as before when i did this, all I did is reseat my connections and it worked. Well, I did this again this time and nothing. Then I started messing with the jumpers to see if that was the problem. (when both hd's were running, ide detection would take about a minute+++ so I thought the jumpers might have been wrong.) But that didn't work. I looked at the manufacturer's website (Maxtor) to find the correct jumper settings. Nothing. Now i've messed with it for over an hour and got no where. All I can get now is one of the hard drives being detected in bios but under a messed up name. "Ma`ton" so i'm thinking something might have happened to it. Any idea what might have happened?

I'm going to try and unhook everything and replace it in the case to see if that helps.

ANy suggestions?

Hi, try using another set of cables and leaving the disk that does not start alone in its channel as a 'master'.

Regards
    AOpen s661FXM-FSN, PM "Dothan" 1.8 @ 2.61Ghz (1.66v),XP90 cooler, Sapphire HD3850 AGP. 2048MB uccc, WD Black 1Tb HDD. PLextor PX712A+PX760A
    Canon iP5200R Printer. Lappy: IBM T400 C2D 2.4

10 Year Badge
    Quote Originally Posted by spizzard
    All I can get now is one of the hard drives being detected in bios but under a messed up name. "Ma`ton" so i'm thinking something might have happened to it. Any idea what might have happened?
    That's the classic symptom of two drives being configured as master or slave on the same channel. Contact Maxtor's tech support and obtain the correct jumper settings.

AMD Phenom II X4 830 (6mb cache) @ 291 x 13.5 = 3.91 ghz
    Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3p AMD 770 Motherboard
    8gb (4 x 2) Mushkin DDR3 - 1333 @ DDR3 - 1552
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 128GB SSD
    HiPro 700W PSU
    Ubuntu 11.10 / Win7 x64[/size]