• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

C++ Compiler question..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tacoman667

I have programmed on VB, QBasic, and TPascal in the past. I am now taking a C++ class but was wondering where I can get a compiler with a interface like those previous languages? Something where I can open it, type in the program in a screen, compile it and run it without using a command line setup. Anyone know?

Thanks in advance.

I have been using Microsoft's IDE for a long time now. It is actually pretty good, and comes with some useful tools that others don't, especially for dubugging. The best part is that because my school is using it I am able to get it free, and it is totally legit. I was able to get Visual Studio .NET and VS 6.0 thorugh my school for the cost of shipping!

I also used a Boralnd compiler before that, which was decent. I think it really all depends on what your ultimate goals are. If you want to be getting into Windows programming and MFC, then Visual C++ is your only real option, but I could be wrong there.

I've been using Micrsoft Visual Studio since I started working. It is both easy to use at first and very powerful for advanced users. I am always discovering new things that make my life easier.

The down side is you have to pay for it. The cheapest thing is if your school offers a site license. Other than that, you can buy just the C++ component here with a student discount. You don't need the complete studio, which includes Visual Basic, C# and some other things.

Back