• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help Needed For Choosing New Rig.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Webzta

Ok i Currently have a pretty good rig, but as always seems to happen, I'm bored of it. I want More.

Just recieved an offer for my PC minus the gfx + water, So Currently for my new rig i have..

BFG 6800GT
Watercooling Setup (For P4)

I'm looking for 4ghz+

Motherboard + CPU + Ram Suggestions ? (I Don't want to have to volt mod the motherboard)

Northwood? Prescott? Which / What Hardware will get me past 4ghz.. ?
3.2 or 3.4? Which will go further, go for 3.2 for more fsb?

All replies muchly appreciated...ty.

Good luck, I've tried to hit 4 gig now with 5 CPUs. Two went 3.8 gig and the last 3 went 3.9 gig. I got screen shots at 4 gig with two of these, but it sure wasn't stable. With watercooling, you might try one of the D0 stepping 3.2E Prescotts. That would probably give you the best odds of the socket 478 processors.

Any thoughts on Motherboards? Which would be better in the aim to hit 4ghz + , prescott? northwood? 3.2 or 3.4?

Go for the IC7 or the asus p4c800 e-dx motherboards, and for the precott, 3.4 if you have the extra 110 bucks, if not the 3.2 should get you there with good cooling. The precotts run hotter usually but with good cooling overclock ALOT better. as far as ram goes, either get the OCZ el pc3200 or equiv, look around in the memory forum for good suggestions.

I suggest either the OCZ or corsair low latency 2-2-2-5.

Also, you might wanna ditch the BFG for something like the leadtek or Asus 6800, I've herad of the BFG's bogging down with all the bells and whistles turned on

I already have the bfg and tested it etc, It clocks really well.
As for cooling I Have a DD Watercooling setup.. "TDX" The 3.4 Will get me further then? Or Is the 3.2 a better clocker as it's got a lower multi?

I dislike the IC7's due to bad experience in teh past, Lot of people seem to have the asus boards so gunna look up on those.

Clevor who is a member of these forums claims the IS7 is the flagship or all Intel OC boards. He has and tests multiple boards such as the IS7, A17, IC7, P4C-E, the Epox you have, DFI Lanparty, etc he said he uses different boards to exploit different cpus, but the IS7 is the best board for OCing with the only drawback of the vdimm which is 2.8.

Yeah, that is a bummer.... I'd consider that board if my stock ram voltage wasn't 2.85V.

Are there volt mods out for this board and/or do you need a droop mod to keep the voltage stable?

The AI7 is a great mobo, I've had a couple and still am using one, but I feel they work better with Northwoods than Prescotts, especially if you are pushing towards 4 gig. If you don't like the IC7, then I would have to recommend the Asus P4C800 deluxe. The vdimm mod is easy and can be done with those Pomona Grabbers. There is a droop mod that can be done too if you need it.

Another option to think about is the DFI i875 chipset mobo with the LGA776 socket. We don't know much about it yet, but it does look promising. You will need a LGA775 Prescott for that mobo though. Look for a thread where Bigstan talks about this mobo. It has AGP slot, so you can use your vid card. The 3.4 and 3.6 LGA775 CPUs are supposed to be able to drop back to a 14X multiplier if you use the right BIOS. At least Asus has that figured out, but it's not clear if DFI has that option yet. The LGA775 3.4 seems to be hitting 4 gig fairly consistently.

I've taken a look and decided on that dfi mb, for cpu's there's a 3.4 "F" 64bit prescott, that or a 3.2/3.4 ?? Which will get me furthest/best performance.
Only problem is my waterblocks, will they fit ? :/

Ty for all help sofar btw.

Last edited:
Back