• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One-Click with 5.02, -advmethods, and EULA compliant!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
"Why Wedo?" you may ask, well pull up a chair, pour a couple glasses of lemonade, and let Uncle Wedo tell you a little story.

All of the previous versions of the One-Click were out of compliance with Stanfords EULA since they all included the FAH***-Console.exe inside the installer package. In the aftermath of the recent hoo-haw the FAH Deployer received, I was given a link to a proggy that would allow the One-Click to automatically go out and download the client straight from Stanfords website.

Thus, *poof* the One-Click is official, compliant, and officially compliant with Stanfords rules of folding

...and they all folded happily ever after. The End.

There are six new versions of the One-Click: Single CPU, Dual install with two clients (for HT and Dually use), a Quad install with four clients (for dual rigs with HT or anyone on dial-up) and each version comes either with or without the -advmethods flag. The rule of thumb with the -advmethods flag is that if the rig has a cpu of greater speed than 2Ghz, use the -advmethods version, if the cpu is less than 2Ghz, use the regular, or non-advmethods version.

There is an extra edit required in the client.cfg if you want to fold BigPacket WU's. There has been ample discussion about this, but here's the basic rules: If you have more than 1GB of RAM per CPU, then you can fold BigPackets. If you want BigPackets, simply edit the client.cfg's to "bigpackets=yes". I find that most of my borgs are not worthy of BigPacket fun, so the default is set to "no".

For those that are not familiar with the One-Click, here's an overly simplified version of what happens when you use the One-Click:

1. You download the file
2. You edit the client.cfg(s) with your username and (now) bigpackets answer (default being "no").
3. You click the .exe
4. The One-Click then creates the appropriate directories (C:\Program Files\FAH), (now) downloads the FAH502-Console.exe, creates and installs FAH as a service in the registry, removes the extra install files after completion, and starts FAH as a service.

Essentially, the One-Click does everything in one click that you do long hand when you download the client, make the directories, hit "Start/Run/[some directory]/FAH502-Console.exe -config" and answer all the questions. In addition, the greatest benefit of the One-Click is that it sets FAH up as a service so when ever the computer is powered up, it's folding.

Most FAH veterans from our team carry the One-Click around on a floppy or USB pen drive with their client.cfg already edited. This enables a quick plug n' borg when you find a rig and have permission to install FAH.

One-Click, Single CPU Versions

If you are running XP/XP Home/W2K(all versions) on a single cpu computer over 2Ghz, then use the ADV version. If your cpu is under 2Ghz, use the regular version:

1. Download the Single CPU with -advmethods, or the Single CPU without -advmethods.
2. Unzip the file to a floppy, pen drive, or to a directory (folder) on the desktop.
3. Edit the client.cfg with notepad and change "Wedo" to your folding username. Only use Notepad to edit the client.cfg files.
4. Click the .exe file.
5. Fold
6. Repeat as often as humanly possible.

Poof, your folding.

Dually/HT versions:

You will do everything noted in the above section except use the Dually/HT version of the One-Click:

Download the Dually/HT with -advmethods or the Dually/HT without -advmethods.

The only other change is that there are two client.cfg files to edit, both of which need your username (again, use notepad to edit this file). The client.cfg's have different names, but don't worry, when you hit the .exe after editing the One-Click changes the names of the files and copies them into the correct directories.

*Note: With some W2K and XP Home rigs you have to reboot to get the service running. So if you use the One-Click and don't see FAHCore_XX.exe running after a minute in the task manager, just reboot.

Quad versions:

You will do everything noted in the above section except use the Quad version of the One-Click:

Download the Quad version with -advmethods or the Quad version without -advmethods.

The only other change is that there are four client.cfg files to edit, both of which need your username (again, use notepad to edit this file). The client.cfg's have different names, but don't worry, when you hit the .exe after editing the One-Click changes the names of the files and copies them into the correct directories.

*Note: With some W2K and XP Home rigs you have to reboot to get the service running. So if you use the One-Click and don't see FAHCore_XX.exe running after a minute in the task manager, just reboot.

This will overwrite any previous One-Click version so if you've already used an OC, fire away.

As always, Get Permission First!!!

Foldeth On-eth
Wedo

Last edited:
Nice work, Wedo!
:clap:

Quick General Question (for anyone to answer, not just Wedo): I am on one of the older versions of the one-click, what is the unistall procedure? I want to upgrade all of my rigs to the faster new one-click installation.
Thanks.

Matt

mdcomp said:
...I am on one of the older versions of the one-click, what is the unistall procedure? I want to upgrade all of my rigs to the faster new one-click installation.
Thanks.

Matt

Wedo said:
This will overwrite any previous One-Click version so if you've already used an OC, fire away.

:D

I guess I skimmed that over way too fast. Thanks Wedo!
:D

Matt

I just downloaded the One Click for Quad ADV methods and unzipped it but can't find the .EXE file. I just got it above in Wedo's new post.
There is a OC-FAH502-Quad-ADV.aiw What is that file?
I looked in the Dual CPU version and I saw a .EXE file there. Can someone help me?

Poor HT he is haveing such a time getting that quad core machine folding for us! Quick somebody sort this that has a better clue than me before we lose it!

so what are we to do when we're borgin machines with no net :-/ I frequently borg machines while I set them up(before I assign ip's or can put them on the network...)

Crap, I packed the wrong file.... I'll fix it now.

*Danger* I'm editing a zip file, posting, and FTP'ing while enjoying a nice little beer buzz... I am not responsible, well, I'm responsible, but you have been warned. :D

All is fixed....

Last edited:
MLMIB said:
so what are we to do when we're borgin machines with no net :-/ I frequently borg machines while I set them up(before I assign ip's or can put them on the network...)

Unfortunately, this is what I have to do to be compliant with the EULA. I would think that you could either borg after adding to the network or let the program run and just insert your own copy of the FAH502-Console.exe. Oh, you can use the deployer too.

Thanks guys, I'll use the Dually setup for now. I just read for an hour about Nikhsub1 your unreal Watercooling case. Super nice job on the Beast II.

Thanks Wedo....but actually this didn't overwrite my previous one-click becasue it unzipped to the FAH folder and my other one is in the Folding@Home folder, so I don't understand why that is. Anyways, I just did it manually.

hmm... are you sure your previous version was wedo's "one click"? the one click should always install to Program Files>FAH....

Bon3thugz43v3r said:
Thanks Wedo....but actually this didn't overwrite my previous one-click becasue it unzipped to the FAH folder and my other one is in the Folding@Home folder, so I don't understand why that is. Anyways, I just did it manually.

Either way, the service is under the same registry key of /FAH which gets overwritten by the new version. You might end up having a directory filled with FAH stuff under C:\Program Files\Folding@Home (not my install) but it will not fold since the service points towards the new installation.

Back