• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this normal for a 6800gt?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cylyk

Hey all. I just got a new computer:

s939 a64 3500+
corsair value ram dual channel pc3200 - 1 gig
wd caviar 250gb SATA HD
msi k8n neo2 platinum 250 motherboard
gainward golden sample 6800gt in enhanced mode

I was just wondering if it's normal for my framerate in farcry to go down as far as ~25fps outdoors running at 1024x768 no AA, 1xAF(default setting) and maxed out details with VSYNC disabled. Thanks in advance for your answers.

p.s. I have the 61.77 drivers for my 6800 and I have DX9.0c and Farcry patch 1.2

p.p.s. Sorry if this has been discussed but the search feature isn't working for me.

p.p.p.s. Thanks again.

try these:

- Set AGP aperture size to 128 or 256 and turn fastwrites off.(both can be found in the BIOS).
- Try to remove old drivers with driver cleaning program and reinstall the driver.
- Check 12V line in power supply.

Hope that helps!

don't bother reinstalling the 61.77, lousy driver imho, try some of the newer leaked driver's. i've been using 66.51 and so far 0 prob's.
you can find alot of driver's here.

http://www.mvktech.net/

and
welcome to the forum's

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try them when I get home from work.

Now when you say change the aperture size to 128meg or 256meg, should it correspond with the amount of ram on the video card? I say this because when I first got everything set up I went into the BIOS and switched it to 256 from 128 - should I try switching it back? When I get off work I'll give it all a shot.

By the way, what sort of performance should I be getting in the outdoor portions of Farcry?

Thanks!
cylyk

you should be doing fine. Outdoor performance should be above 35 with both AA and AF on.

The AGP aperture size should be 1/4 of your physical memory(RAM). so if you have 1Gb then put 256. i am leaving mine at 128.

also check your videocard temp, are they above 70c during load? also turn the vsync on.

this doesn't seem right at all :(

Resolution: 1024×768
Ultra quality option, Direct3D renderer
Level: Training, demo: Training.tmd
Pixel shader: model 3.0
Antialising: None
Anisotrophic filtering: 1×

Score = 62.87 FPS

my average FPS are this benchmark's lowest FPS for the Ultra/GT (my card is 6800 at Ultra speeds)

try to put your 6800 back to normal speed? are you running to hot? heat will definately worsen the performance.

right after I did a bunch of Farcry benches it was at 64°C, is that okay?

that's normal. hmm. now you made me really curious.

Mine is running at 1024x768 ultra setting, with 4xAA and 8xAF with 61.77, 9.0c, patch 1.2 and outdoor never dip less than 35fps as i remembered.

<:( this really has me bummed out.

I tried turning fast writes off but it only gave me 2 more fps on average. I just ran drivercleaner and installed the newest 66.81 drivers so I'm gonna try another bench right now, I'll be back with the results.

EDIT: oh god, now my score is 55.85 FPS :cry:

alright I checked the +12.00v thing in motherboard monitor and it says it's at 12.40 volts, is that right? oh god I hope it's not defective hardware :(

okay here's an update: I tried switching the connection to another molex and I still get the same results. I really want to fix this otherwise I might have to send back my hardware :(
This is unacceptable, someone please help me or I will cry

3dmark03 score: http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3201824

Last edited:
your 3dmark score is good. try reinstalling far cry maybe? and also defrag your HD.
if you want you can try this: go to farcry folder, back up the config.cfg files before you change anything! in there change the renderer from "Direct3D9" to "openGL" see if you gain any performance.

okay I tried the config thing and I got no better results, and now I have to go to work

by the way i don't think i need to defrag since I just got this computer a few days ago brand new and formatted

I have the same problem. Mine only lags when I have the "Corpse Stay" on over a minute. Mine runs like 50-60Fps but until I shoot a lot of people, it goes to like.. 30fps. I recommend turning the corpse stay to around 30-60 Sec unless your ubsessed with shooting the bodies and admiring the rad doll :). Try that, and you should be good.

Hmmm I'll try it, but this slowdown happens as soon as I even get outside even on the very first level. Any other ideas?

note: my corpse stay is on 30 seconds

Back