• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bigger, better, faster Raptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2003ZYMach1

Registered
I was poking around on the net and can't find anything that might hint at a newer Raptor drive. 74gb is a little small for me at this point... anyone know if a larger raptor drive will surface sometime in the near future?

Whos going to buy them?
If they make a 146gb raptor, its going to cost about $350 a drive.

Whos gonna pay for that?
I already got dual 73gb raptors.

Whats the point, no one is going to use a raptor to store their mp3's. You install your apps on the raptor and you are fine. My 36gb 15k rpm scsi drive has about 8 games on it and plenty room for more. My dual 250gb IDE drives on the other hand are full of stuff that dosent need blazing speed. Just do that and you will be happy.

kill me2 said:
Whos going to buy them?
If they make a 146gb raptor, its going to cost about $350 a drive.

Whos gonna pay for that?
I already got dual 73gb raptors.

Wouldn't you have bought the 146GB version instead of two drives? I'd do it just to free up a SATA channel. I

Raid 0 With 2 36gb or 73gb raptors is super duper fast. I v seen some peopel with them and they fly like nothing else out thier (that i have seen) I personally h ave an Old 40gb maxtor 7200 Ata 133 and its fien for me. I want to get a 73gb raptor soon tho

DayUSeX has the right idea.

A Raptor for your OS & programs drive.
A Caviar SE drive for your data.

Speedy & cost effective.

Where are the overclockers here? I can't believe I'm reading "why would you want that" and "74 GB is good enough".
It used to be "30 MB is good enough" or "there is no place for raid on a desktop" or 10,000 rpm is overkill for a home PC.
We are the cutting edge enthusiasts, I want to see a 146 GB raptor and a 15,000 rpm SATA drive. Do I need it? No, but why not push the limits. You know we would buy them.
...gets off soapbox.

That's only because you've never had anything faster. You were probably 'totally satisfied' with IDE until you got the Raptor, eh?

I say stuff a few more platters in there WD. Also, why isn't Seagate doing a 10k SATA drive??

Back