• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what is this? socket 939+754???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Darryl_D

i was just browsing around newegg... and found this little asrock motherboard http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-157-035&depa=0

pics at
http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage...35-02.jpg/13-157-035-03.jpg/13-157-035-04.jpg

it's interesting it's a board that can take both socket 754 and socket 939 processors! i don't know much about this.. but does anyone know if you can use both of them together??? (like a dually?) or if any other motherboard manufacturers are going to be coming out with boards like these???

I mean its a good concept... considering that you can buy a cheap 754 now, and later upgrade to the 939 or even if amd decides to scrap the 939 or even the 754 you have a backup socket to rely on...

I haven't seen an ALi chipset since my original K6-200MHz FIC motherboard... speaking of FIC, do they still exist?

As far as the dual cpu comment -- impossible. You can only run identical CPU's dually, and a 754 and 939 are far from identical ;) It looks as though there's ram slots for the 754 (only 2) and 939 (4 slots). Only 2 pci and 1 agp (granted I don't even use anything in my PCI slots anymore with onboard sound/nic).

-Frank

Asrock is actually Asus' budget brand so it might not be too bad. Interesting to say the least. Performance will suck though being an ALi chipset.

Alacritan said:
Asrock is actually Asus' budget brand so it might not be too bad. Interesting to say the least. Performance will suck though being an ALi chipset.

But it might be good if there is a mod that would allow me to use two chips. Anyone know of such a mod?

Hehe, only by looking at the thread-title I was able to tell you it is about ASrock's board... they are not really unpopular here in Germany, though I would never buy one...
I do things right, or I don't do things ;)

I maybe making a mistake but I'm going to go for this board over Apox.

Benchmarks
Benchmarks SiSoft Memory Benchmark
Benchmarks - 3Dmark2001SE/3DMark2003

Now the board doesnt get the best marks but it isnt the worst. I was ordering my new rig this week and i was very concerned about 754. i know i wanted to go with AMD 64 but I'm on a budget. Now if the board works out I wont have to wory about being left behind when 754 is phased out. Once I get the board I will post an update. I'm very exsited about this :drool:

Gregory_WE said:
Based on the context, K4mui, I believe you mean "popular" instead of "unpopular" :)
I read it again (thought of a mistake)- but it is correct.

I know some people who really seem to love these boards... something I don't get... I mean these boards (all ASrock) have a cruel layout and I do not know one oced asrock- that speaks for itself ;) :D

With the 90nm- CPUs arriving and the NForce4 that sends its shadows (prices go down) I do not see the sense of this board- stay away from it (all ASRock) ;)

Back