• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question on VP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s002wjh

6800gt question

it seem alot ppl complain about the 6800 these day, I just want to know is the IQ and perfermance 6800gt better than x800pro with all those shimmering, vp stuff??

Last edited:
s002wjh said:
it seem alot ppl complain about the 6800 these day, I just want to know is the IQ and perfermance 6800gt better than x800pro with all those shimmering, vp stuff??

Short answer is yes, but it's just a opinion. If your looking at a XT PE I might be apt to say go with the ATI. But 6800GT/Ultra to a Pro is no contest that I can see.

JeffP said:
Short answer is yes, but it's just a opinion. If your looking at a XT PE I might be apt to say go with the ATI. But 6800GT/Ultra to a Pro is no contest that I can see.
??? where do you get the idea that 6800s have better IQ than the x800s? i am an owner of a 6800GT and will not base my judgements and opinions/recommendations on that fact. yes, the 6800s have superior performance with the D3 engine, but that is it. Reviews from the launch of these cards to recent ones haven't changed that much, meaning the x800pro and 6800gt/ultra are really close, each hold their own, and still x800xtpe at the top. i think that it is safe to say that these cards have no Noticable difference in performance in real world gaming, with the 6800gt/ultra edging out the 12pipe x800pro. now factor in the fact that IQ is noticably different, and x800pros(vivo's) could easily be modded to 16 functional pipes. as far as video is concerned, we all know of 6800 vp problems, while the x800pros do not have such problems but also has 1080i(HD) output(for those who it matters to). so imho is the 12pipe x800pro vs 6800GT is a give and take, win and lose situation, peformance or IQ. but a 16pipe x800pro vs a 6800GT modded to ultra(just to make it fair)? there is no question of which i would choose if i had money to do it again.....

CandymanCan said:
Thier is no garuntee both mods will work tho....

i have yet to see an x800proVIVO that has failed to unlock 16pipes, although i haven't been keeping up with the x800s lately

Ok but show me something where the 6800Gt can be modded 100% Sucsessfull all the time to the ultra without having some sorta failer, for all you know the extra pipes could be dammadged on the X800pro Vivo or the Gt. Thats why its never a garuntee. Just like the 9500np to 9700 mod.

CandymanCan said:
Ok but show me something where the 6800Gt can be modded 100% Sucsessfull all the time to the ultra without having some sorta failer, for all you know the extra pipes could be dammadged on the X800pro Vivo or the Gt. Thats why its never a garuntee. Just like the 9500np to 9700 mod.

What do mean my modded? Just slightly OC'ing the card is all the GT needs, there are no pipes to open up. Any of the Gainwards will do it and go well above Ultra speeds if you opt. for the GS version.

bobmanfoo:
i think that it is safe to say that these cards have no Noticable difference in performance in real world gaming, with the 6800gt/ultra edging out the 12pipe x800pro

I agree 100% As much as I hate to use benchmarking looking at the scores in my sig how many x800pro's have you seen doing much if any better then that? I'm no 3dmark guru either what it runs is what I post. My system isn't OC'd either it's just a plain 3.0e so please don't compare them to some guy running water at 4.0Ghz or something outragous.

s002wjh: My VP works. I'm not so sure the VP subject has been researched enough to understand fully whats going on. If your going 6800 buy a Gainward if your going ATI let one of the guru's from that camp tell you which is best.

JeffP said:
What do mean my modded? Just slightly OC'ing the card is all the GT needs, there are no pipes to open up. Any of the Gainwards will do it and go well above Ultra speeds if you opt. for the GS version.

bobmanfoo:

I agree 100% As much as I hate to use benchmarking looking at the scores in my sig how many x800pro's have you seen doing much if any better then that? I'm no 3dmark guru either what it runs is what I post. My system isn't OC'd either it's just a plain 3.0e so please don't compare them to some guy running water at 4.0Ghz or something outragous.

s002wjh: My VP works. I'm not so sure the VP subject has been researched enough to understand fully whats going on. If your going 6800 buy a Gainward if your going ATI let one of the guru's from that camp tell you which is best.

my first run with my 12 pipe, non volt moded, OCed, x800pro is 5392.
I've also run this test at stock CPU speeds and the score didn't dip much at all.
(I really need to tweek my winblows some more before retesting 3dmark05, as I know I could do better with a non bloated OS.)
yet I'm not much of a benchmark freak, and I just like to play my games.

mica

Back