• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PNY 6800Gt able to be modded to a Ultra ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
odd... for some reason, when i go to flash it into ultra, doing exactly what you said, it says, CANNOT OPEN FILE"6800ultra.rom"????thats what i have it named, but...why wont it read it? if REformatted the disk, and redid the bios, and everything, i just dont know why.

I would rename it to the dos 8.3 format to something like 6800U.rom. Try that and see what happens.

Man This can be confusing!

Okay all this talk about BIOS flashing and overclocking has totally confused me.
I'd appreciate a bit more clarity as I'm very much a novice that's learning moderately as I read along.

I've been able to over clock by ATI 9200SE to a stock 9200 using ATI Tool (I don't know if you boys have heard of it).

It uses a test procedure where it automatically increases both core and memory speeds of the graphics card incrementally, stopping when it reaches a number that produces artificats or problems. IT was really quite easy an straightforward to use to get the job done. I simply saved the highest settings to load up at start up and now it runs from a 250 Core/ 166 Memory to a 320/185.

The reason why I'm mentioning my little struggler of a card (and experience) is because I'm getting the PNY 6800GT in the next week and am a little baffled as to how I can simply overclock the guy. Will the card/drivers/stock setup that it comes with allow me to manually overclock the card to the levels as some of you have reported? (420/1250 for example)

I don't mind having to restart the program on every start up to set it to that number.
Or is that all simply not enough as some of you have mentioned how it's IMPERATIVE to raise the voltage temperatures of the card to the 1.4v setting from it's base setting. Otherwise I'm risking DOOM to occur in my tower.. (hell raises it's fury in there.. heheh).

Okay boys.. step by step would be appreciated.
What program do I use (link?) to manually set the voltages? And at what voltages?
What do I use to overclock the dude?

I don't have a disk drive (who uses them this day and age? Guess I'm going to regret not having one now), so I'd rather not bother with the Bull**** ... er.. I mean BIOS flashing. LOL

Unless ofcourse if I absolutely need to.

AsRock K7VM2 3.0 350 Watt PSU
Athlon XP 2200+ (1.8Ghz) o/c @ Athlon XP 2600+ (2.1Ghz)
512 MB PC2100 DDR RAM
ATI RADEON 9200SE overclocked to a stock 9200
(soon to be replaced with the 6800GT behemoth).

<-- Looking for some simple clarity.

CPUs Acting as Inhibitors

Also to discuss is the problem of having a very nice VGA card but a slow CPU speed (as in my case the XP 2600+). I'm sure some of you have heard that you're not really utlizigin the power of your VGA card or you reach a bottleneck/a limit to how far it'll perform due to a underpowered processor.

That means in number terms my stock 6800GT won't be running a magnficent 5.6 Million Texels (whatever it is) or the frame rate as I'd expect it to (at least comparing benchmark results). How far of a performance drop can I expect? 5.6 to 5? Or is there a more stark of a difference?

Anyways I'm considering upgrading my CPU to a XP 2600+ (2.1 Ghz) which can be over clocked to a XP 3200+ and over (2.4Ghz). Ofcourse I could just buy the damn 3200+ but I'd rather use that extra $$ on water cooling which could be applicable to future CPU purchases?

What do you boys think of this CPU bottleneck concept?
Doesn't it suck!?

Back