• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

possible dead bios

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lardass

i have an award bios on an abit that doesn't post. i get no error beeps. i removed all cards/memory/processors and it still will not give error beep. has this bios chip **** the bed?

Sounds like it. If there is power but nothing else then probably so although when I killed the BIOS to an old dually PII board a couple weeks ago I still got error beeps.

Sounds like the BIOS or board itself to me.

Did it just not boot up one day or what happened? Also, does it receive power (power up)?

it did this once before. i tinkerd with the cards and then it just decided to work. this time i did the same but no such luck. it gets power and spins up the hard drives. but no beeps no mater whats pluged in or not. can i try my freinds award bios to see if i could get beeps or some sign of life?

Unless it was the exact same board I don't know if I'd want to try that or not. Just make sure the BIOS chip itself is seated well...some have been known to 'crawl' out of their socket. Also make sure your AGP card, CPU and memory are all seated well.

The only time I ever wrecked a motherboard BIOS I was getting the same exact symptoms except I got a constant stream of error beeps. A dead processor gave me the exact results you are getting...all power but no beeps and nothing but a black screen.

I'm stuck in this exact same prediciment. I think the BIOS on my Abit BE6 II v1.0 just snuffed it. All of the fans and drives spin up, and just before it went, I got this strange Boot Block BIOS screen a couple of times. It mentioned I had an invalid system disc in the "A" (floppy) drive (there was no disc in the "A" drive) and it instructed me to insert a system disc.

I agree that trying a BIOS chip from say a Soyo on a Abit (or something like that) wouldn't be good, but...

I've got a dead BE6 II v2.0 here, with a good BIOS chip (the board has a bad CPU slot) Any idea what might happen if I plug a 2.0 BIOS chip into a 1.0 board?? The 2.0 has the RAID controller, and the Highpoint 370, where the 1.0 just has the Highpoint 366 controller.

Is this worth a shot?? I'd like to be able to figure out if it is the BIOS chip, without sending out the $$ for a chip, when the mobo itself might be bad. Maybe just pop the chip in to see if it might come up, and shut it down immediately if it does??

Any thoughts on this one?? :confused:

Ya The Bios are SHOT!

Hey Mr B,
I heard somewhere that the bios on that board were
sort of defected and after a while they just DIE!
I have that board too!

YMAN said:
Ya The Bios are SHOT!

Hey Mr B,
I heard somewhere that the bios on that board were
sort of defected and after a while they just DIE!
I have that board too!

Sounds like I'll be looking into getting a new BIOS chip then.

There's a guy who has been selling them on e-BAY for months now. He lists the BE6 II as one of the ones he has available. I'll have to shoot him an e-mail..:(

BTW, Yman...thanks for the tip!

Same ****, different mobo.

Mr B said:

There's a guy who has been selling them on e-BAY for months now. He lists the BE6 II as one of the ones he has available. I'll have to shoot him an e-mail..:(

I have the same crap with an ABIT TH7-RAID. Does anyone know where I can get one? Or where I can take my mobo to to get it re-flashed? The POST is coming up with error 00. And yes I have RTFM and it is not listed in there. Taking processor out gives same error.

Cheers

Mr B said:

Is he selling for $4.95?

Or like $11

I remember a few

lardass, have you tried a different CPU.

Sounds like it could be a dead CPU (or a popped mosfet causing the CPU to die) from the symptoms given.

My system did the same thing. a Mosfet popped, and took the mobo and cpu with it.

Mr B. Are the BIOS chips on the two boards the same size/pinout? If they are, try to flash the BE6II with the BE6's BIOS, inside the BE6II mobo, or else swap the BE6II's BIOS into the BE6 and flash it before it realises it's got the wrong BIOS on board.

Back