• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

what mobo for a smepron.??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There are two kinds of Semprons: Socket A and Socket 754 so choose your mobo accordingly. Lots of people around here are waiting for nForce4s due out in a couple of weeks.

ok soo is the 754 one's like a 64.? or whats the deal with them... and that is the one i am lookin at.. i already have a moble semp. hehehe

Right now, wherever Socket 754 Athlon 64s go, so do Socket 754 Semprons.

It's always a good idea to check with mobo manufacturer official web site for CPU compatibility, though, click here to see socket-cpu info: http://www.c627627.com/

Mobile Semprons are already out?

Also, this page says that the Mobile Sempron has 256KB of L2. Why does GCPUID report that you have 512KB instead???

Last edited:
It's just identifying the chip incorrectly.

As for the motherboards, it depends on how much you want to spend and how much you want to O/C. Here are a couple of my picks.

Chaintech VNF3-250 - $79

MSI K8N Neo-FSR - $99

And it's out of stock now, but the DFI board at $134 is the best 754 board available.

If I was on a budget, I would probably choose the Chaintech to go along with the Sempron. It's probably every bit as good as the MSI I listed above, bit as you can see, $20 cheaper. And you could spend that $20 on some good cooling. :)

alrighty well my mobo is not

" It's just identifying the chip incorrectly." its up to date... my bios are current i think most ppls dont belive me that its is what it is.. any ways!! lol i am lookin at the vnf3-250... soo... yeah thats my story....

lol ok well http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/ says that a barton core sempron dose exist and everything i have used to check the chip out even my bios reads it as what it is... soo.. what now ( not tryin to be an *** ) anyways do you like your sempron the 3100 ( paris core ) thats what i am thinkin about getting

Last edited:
I'd love to see the three lines of text off the top of the chip :) These would tell you exactly what you have, not what the BIOS or GCPUID think you have.

No insult to the author, but GCPUID is certainly not right all the time, and neither is the BIOS (the latter especially in the case of identifying Semprons). For example, GCPUID claims I have B0 revision Barton (there is no such thing), and there's been many many reports of new BIOS revisions incorrectly labelling AXP's as Semprons (or vice versa). Since they're identical to XP's, there's no way to identify them apart from using a a stored table of frequencies for deciding Sempron/Athlon XP, and BIOS writers seem particularily adept at botching up this sort of thing.

edit: Yes, hopefully most people know that a Barton-cored Sempron does exist. It's existance is listed by AMD. What's NOT listed (AMD or anywhere else) is any socket-A mobile Sempron, let alone anything like what core they (would) use.

Last edited:
Yes that's true, the codes found on the CPU itself is the only way to be sure what you have. Don't forget to write those down next time you take the heatsink off... You have a mobile 2600+ Barton, not Sempron.

Yes the only Semprons so far with 512Kb of L2 cache are socket A anyway NOT socket 754. You want to be buying a socket A mobo like it says on your screenshot! That means a good NF2 board like the DFI.

yeah that is the mobo i am lookin at gettin .. not sure if i am goin to o.c it at all.. i am just lookin at the long run.. that i will get a a64 when they becoem more mainstream ya knwo what i mean.. soo yeah i think i am goin to get me th 3100 sempron ( pairs core ) and that mobo with a 512 ram.. and see what shakes loose! lol

Memphis69 said:
lol ok well http://www.c627627.com/AMD/AthlonXP/ says that a barton core sempron dose exist
True, cept' it's called Thorton b/c it only has half the cache while retaining the same size as Barton core. That site should say Thoroughbred and Thorton, not T-bred and Barton.

Memphis69 said:
ASRock k7v88 ( KT880 )
2600+( barton core ) Moble Sempron 200x12 2.4 1.65v
512 3200 ddr corseair ram
BFG 5200 FX 256ddr 250/400 oc 320/536
80gig 7200
20 gig slave

http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Memphs67-smepron.JPG
What motherboard are you using currently? Cuz your signature lists a Socket A board while the Sempron-M is a 754 processor. Asrock does not say anything about the K7V88 being compatible with the 754Bridge and I bet it won't be.

A correction from my previous post, the M-Sempron 2600 only has 128KB of L2 based on AMD's website.

You have a Mobile Barton.
Memphis69 said:
... soo.. what now ( not tryin to be an *** )

Last edited:
yeah ok.. we know that now.. lol i am lookin at the 3100 sempron the one in the link...and everything i use to look at it says its a sempron ( i am just saying ) CPU-z everything.. and like i said somewhere else i think its kool.. lol

That's because that's what the BIOS is calling it :) During POST, the BIOS stores the name of the CPU into some registers in the CPU, and all CPU-Z et al show for the "name string" is this string. So, when the BIOS misidientifies the CPU, the name string will be incorrect in these programs (and hence of very little use).

The *real* information for the chip (ie: that's hardwired into the chip and not inferred) in GCPUID's case is:
{} CPU Vendor
{} CPUID information (Family, Model, Stepping, Ext Model, Ext. Family and Ext Stepping only)
{} CPU speed and multiplier (only if PowerNow is not used)
{} Cache sizes
{} Instruction set support

Everything else is inferred from the above data, and is possibly incorrect.

i under stand that but all of the ohter post i have seen have " unknow cpu " lol thats why i am questioning what is being told to me.. lol sorry to be a pain in the ***! lol but i have a vaid point.? or maybe i dont.. lol

Back