• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Laptop Painting (Pictoral and Work Log)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Osirus

Ok, I got a little bored today and I have a bunch of House of Kolors paint. Most of which is perl colors.
Anyways I grabbed my laptop, which is a Sony Vaio and noticed the top lid of the laptop has Vaio almost engraved in it. so I pulled the masking tape and went to town.

Here is a picture of the laptop all masked off and a very light coat of House of Kolor Grey Primer.
vaio1.JPG

Here is a picture of the color I decided to use. Its known as House of Kolor's Kameleon, Red to Gold. Just an idea of how expensive this paint is. That 2oz bottle cost $45.
hok-k.JPG

Next is the Airbrush, the paint, and the thinner. The Airbrush is a Paasche VL-Set Double Action, which means you control the amount of air and paint that come out of the airbrush.
airbrush.JPG

Here is a finished picture of the Vaio logo painted in Red to Gold Kameleon Paint, as you can see it looks kinda purple, Thats because of the angle I was at and the flash on my camera.
finished.JPG

I havent really decided what other color to paint the entire laptop, I have from the choice of colors...
Ultra Orange Perl
Black Perl
Fine Galaxy Grey
Red Perl
Limetime Perl
Majik Blue Perl
Here is a pic of the colors, to get an idea of what they look like.
allcolors.JPG

Your opinions would be much appricated, I cant really decide on what color to paint the rest of the laptop.

Holy cow, an airbrush! Very neat color for the logo.

I think black would look awesome... Black with the pink logo :)

The logo isnt pink really.. it all depends on how the light hits it. Ill see if I can get a video of the color changing.
Im thinking Black Perl would go well with it.

Yeah, I'm thinking black pearl, so that it shows off the Sony Vaio. You've got to display your custom vaio symbol in the right way, and black would do that nicely.

The Airbrush I own runs about $75. Plus I have a mini-compressor to go with it, which provides a constiant air pressure to the airbrush.
Im going to see how hard it will be to take everything out of the laptop so I dont have to mask off much. I know I will have to mask off the LCD, but thats no big deal.

It might be a week or so before I get more updates, I ran out of thinner and candy klear coat, so Ill have to order that.
Thanks for the kind words...

i hate those mini compressors! every one that i have ever used with an airbrush runs constantly to keep up with it so i just use my dads 10 gallon one kicks on like once in a blue moon but anyway looking good and man do i need to pick up an airbrush...

but you should use the Majik Blue Perl that would look sweet :D

Last edited:
Where did you get the paint from and how much does the pearl colors cost. Also I am a total noob to airbrushing. How hard is it to use/mix paint. I just want to be able to lay down colors on cases and such.

Back